Bragging Rights: 20 More Reasons To Be Proud of Memphis
We know that Memphis is lovable, but sometimes it’s nice to see that folks around the world agree.
Photo by Phillip Van Zandt
1. The Peabody Hotel was named the Best Historic Hotel by readers of USAToday’s 10Best. Go ducks! If haven’t had their Sunday brunch, it’s worth the splurge.
2. The South China Morning Post also ranked Memphis the #1 bucket list travel destination for music lovers, even beating out cities like Liverpool and Paris.
3. Go World Travel Magazine rightly included Memphis on its list of America’s Best BBQ Cities.
4. Memphis Comedy Fest gets a shout-out on Vulture.com‘s comedy fest guide.
5. USA Today names Memphis as one of the top six places in the world to visit during August. Nice!
6. House Beautiful also gave The Peabody the designation of “Best Historic Hotel“.
7. Memphis was featured on Money, Inc. with a list of the top ten things to do for newbie visitors.
8. Rare.com ranked Gus’ World Famous Fried Chicken as the number 3 best Southern restaurant chain. Gus’ may be number one in my heart, but thanks for the shout-out to this Memphis original on your list.
9. Hello Giggles recommend Big Cypress Lodge in the Bass Pro Pyramid as one of the top “glamping” destinations for bachelorette parties. That hotel is super swank and way more glam than camp, but I agree it would be fun home base for a girl’s getaway to Memphis.
11. Travel writer Nicola Brady, on behalf of the Irish Independent, had the perfect day in Memphis and wrote about it here.
12. Going back a bit, Forbes said we were one of the top cities to celebrate Independence Day because of our barbecue prowess and Beale Street.
13. REI – a national outdoor supply/gear store – is opening in Memphis in August 2018 and they are all about being a part of the community. They did this cool blog post about Shelby Farms being awesome.
14. The Atlanta Journal Constitution put two Memphis spots on this list of music lover’s attractions.
15. The Fader featured five up-and-coming Memphis rappers and talks about the rap and hip-hop scene.
16. Southern Living named Memphis as the best vacation spot in Tennessee. Right on.
17. Ashley from the Travel Lushes explored Memphis and came up with a solid list of the top 15 things to do in town. She went beyond Elvis and did Bike Share, Crosstown Concourse, Broad Avenue, and and emphasis on vegan food, which was cool.
18. PBS gave well-deserved attention to the Stax Academy in Soulsville.
19. Food & Wine featured The Liquor Store restaurant and mentioned some of the other Broad Ave. things to do, too.
20. The Magnificent Life blog went in-depth into how Memphis is a city that changed America.
Got more bragging rights? Leave ’em in the comments!