5 Things To Do This Weekend: 11/13 – 11/15
Here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend, plus a few extra ideas.
Before we get to the weekend, be sure you didn’t miss anything on the blog lately:
- Thanksgiving Guide: restaurants that are open, takeout + catering, and turkeys
- Holiday Events Guide: is anything happening this year? (yes)
- Holiday Shopping Guide: support local artist and get unique gifts – coming soon, I’ll update this link!
- Memphis Music Q&A With Aaron James
- 100+ Places To Eat & Drink Outside In The Mid-South – UPDATED + WHO HAS HEATERS
- Ways To Give Back and Volunteer This Month
OK, here’s your weekend guide:
1. Goner TV Ep. 7: Aquarian Blood and more, Online at gonertv.com, Friday, 8 p.m. – 9:30 – p.m., free, 18+
Goner Record’s Goner TV program is back with “another killer episode” featuring live music from Aquarian Blood, interview with Adele Bertei, and other fun segments.
2. More Than Words: Dixon Virtual Family Day, Online, Saturday, 10 a.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
Got a little bookworm or aspiring illustrator at home? This Dixon online Family Day is all about books and storytelling, so head to dixon.org/familyday on Saturday starting at 10 a.m. for guided activities, crafts, and and performances.
3. Opera Memphis’s Craigslistlieder, Crosstown Brewing / Wiseacre Downtown, Saturday / Sunday, 4 p.m., free, 13+/21 to drink
If you’re looking for something outdoors and socially-distanced that involves music and craft beer, Opera Memphis and two local breweries are here for you. Opera Memphis debuts “Craigslistlieder” this weekend, a two-person opera based on Craigslist ads. There’s a Saturday show at Crosstown Brewing and a Sunday show at Wiseacre’s new downtown location, both are at 4 p.m. Check out the trailer here. And if you haven’t seen their Weinermoblie song, stop what you’re doing right now and watch it here.
4. Nature By Firelight, Lichterman Nature Center, Saturday, 4:30 p.m. – 7 p.m., $25 adults/$25 children, all age/kid-friendly
Enjoy a night hike, toast s’mores over a fire, learn about nature, explore the night sky through telescopes and more. Tickets include Night Hike, Live Nocturnal Animal Encounters, s’mores kits, hot chocolate, wine for adults (two beverages), and bottled water. Tickets can be purchased at: https://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/4800910
5. Greenway Soiree, Livestreaming at WolfRiver.org/Soiree, Saturday, 5:45 p.m. – 7 p.m., $125 per person, $250 per couple
This fundraiser event for the Wolf River Conservancy is going virtual this year, but you’ll still be able to enjoy food and drink packages, entertainment from local arts groups including Stax Academy Junior, New Ballet Ensemble, and Opera Memphis, and a legit lit silent auction.
Plus a few more ideas…
Nerd901’s Virtual Extra-Life Stream, Twitch, Friday & Saturday, 10 a.m. – 10 p.m., donations encouraged
From Nerd901: “Nerd901 is continuing their charity Extra-Life Stream benefiting LeBonheur Children’s Hospital. We will have tons of fun games, guests, and incentives for this year’s stream! Watch live @ Twitch.tv/nerd901. If you can, please consider donating to nerd901.com/extralife.
South Main Lights – through January 2021
New for this year, South Main businesses and restaurants have turned on brightly colored holiday lights covering the storefronts. They’ll be lit up each night from 4 p.m. and midnight. Perfect for walking through the neighborhood, doing some masked-ups shopping, or grabbing takeout.
Wonderland Memphis – ongoing
The geniuses who created Memphis Escape Rooms have put together a more celebratory, less puzzling experience for the holidays this year. The Wonderland Memphis Interactive Photo Experience at the Carriage Crossing in Collierville is multiple rooms with 15 festive backdrops and fun. It’s enough for your holiday photos and cards with plenty left over for Instagram! It’s $20 per person (kids under 4 are free) and you register for a time with just your party. Details.