9 Ways To Give Back In Memphis This Month (November 2020)
As we approach the holiday season, we may find ourselves reflecting on the year. With two months left of 2020, we may be wishing those months away, wishing for the start of something new. At Volunteer Odyssey, we find ourselves feeling that way, too.
We stop to remind ourselves to embrace time and not wish it away. We stop and challenge ourselves to finish the year in a way that will not only set us up for a successful new year, but will set our city up for a better future.
Two ways to serve every day with Room in the Inn Memphis:
- Guest Hospitality
Volunteers will assist with setting up for the evening and greeting/visiting with new guests. Though other duties might arise, the main focus for volunteers is to visit with our guests to help them feel welcome. Volunteers will be in the room with guests while staff handle administrative duties. Your help is central to our mission of “holy hospitality” – having people present to listen to and talk with our guests during their wait helps them know this is a place where they are safe, welcome, and treated with respect.
For more information and to register, click here!
- Day Care Assistant
You can help facilitate Room in the Inn’s Emergency Day Shelter available to those needing a safe place to rest indoors this winter. Volunteers will help in maintaining a healthy and clean shelter for guests by abiding by CDC guidelines through helping staff maintain physical distance requirements, sanitizing surfaces and providing hospitality in community by welcoming guests and sharing snacks and hygiene items.
Click here to learn more and sign up!
A new opportunity with Cherokee Health Systems every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday:
- Make a difference in two Memphis communities by volunteering with Cherokee Health Systems for their COVID-19 community testing. They test several days a week in two locations, one off of American Way and one off of Frayser Blvd. Volunteers are needed for administrative assistance, to help pack the swab kits, and with other tasks to ensure that the car line flows smoothly.
See more information and sign up for your shift here!
An opportunity open every weekend with Mid-South Toys for Tots:
- Come join Mid-South Toys for Tots volunteers as we prep toys for 25,000 children ranging from newborns to preteens throughout 23 counties within the Mid South. We are opening our warehouse for volunteers to assist in setting up toys stations, sorting toys, bundling toys and picking toys for the families. Wear comfortable shoes and clothing you could get dusty. Join us!
A new opportunity with the Mid-South Food Bank on November 10th:
- Join us as we partner with the MSFB to fill their need for volunteers and to help fill the need for food all across our city. Volunteers help unpack and repack food products, sort and bundle diapers and hygiene supplies, and assemble food boxes for neighbors in need. Join us during our morning or afternoon shift.
A way to get outside with Memphis Rox on November 21st:
- Memphis Rox is hosting their Soulsville Neighborhood Volunteer Cleanup. This is a great way to give back to the community served at Memphis Rox. Volunteers will meet at Memphis Rox and will disperse from there once given all necessary materials for the cleanup, including trash bags, gloves, high-visibility vests, and water. Participants should wear close-toed shoes and dress appropriately for the weather. All cleanups will occur in any weather, unless it is storming. Please feel free to stay for as much of the cleanup as you are able. Social distancing will be enforced and face masks will be required.
Get ready for the holidays with the Memphis Botanic Garden, now through the middle of December:
- Holiday Wonders at the Garden is designed to give everyone in the family a chance to enjoy the winter weather and celebrate the holiday season with light displays and seasonal activities. You can join the Garden during their Holiday Wonders programming in a few ways! You can volunteer with Holiday Wonders Preparation until November 6th or with the Holiday Wonders event through the month of December.
Learn more about this event and sign up here!
Two opportunities to stay home and give back:
- Create cards for homebound seniors with Meritan
You can volunteer from home by writing a card to a home-bound senior. Since the pandemic hit, isolation has had an especially large impact on seniors who already lived alone. This is a great opportunity for students needing service hours or anyone who wants to give back from home.
To learn more, click here.
- Record a children’s book for Room in the Inn
Dig up your favorite children’s story and give back to children of Room in the Inn guests. This recording will be played for the children during snack time, bedtime, or anytime the child wants to snuggle up and hear a story.
To register, click here!