Found: A Meal at Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

Found: A Meal at Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

I'm not sure what I can say about Gus's that hasn't already been said at this point? It's a simple but beloved place, and while it's now a national chain, the original location was in Mason, Tenn. about an hour from downtown Memphis. The second location is on Second Street downtown, and you'll usually

The theme of the restaurant is Fried Things. Gus's has a handful of appetizers aka crispy-fried vegetables, slaw, baked beans, fries, white bread, desserts, more sides, and the main event: fried chicken.

Gus's fried chicken is practically perfect. Under the crispy, greasy skin is tender, juicy meat that's got more than a hint of spice. Expect to use a huge stack of napkins. The chicken definitely worth the wait: the downtown location is almost always packed with hungry Memphians with greasy fingers.

David Meany / Contiki Purchase/ Memphis Convention & Visitors Bureau

You can order Gus's chicken in all sorts of combinations. If you're alone, I recommend the two-piece white meat meal. If you're with someone else or a few someones, you can't go wrong with ordering an Eight-Piece Family Meal and washing it down with some of their ridiculously sweet tea or a 40-ounce beer. I recommend the Champagne of Beers, a Miller High Life, as perfect pairing to the kick-y chicken.

Go There:

Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken

310 South Front Street
Memphis, Tenn. 38103

Comments Make Us Happy

The content of this field is kept private and will not be shown publicly.

marjorie5
Don't forget the WHITE BREAD!
January 22, 2010 2:47pm

Tom
southern fried chicken, white bread and SLAW... yummy... I miss MEMPHIS
January 22, 2010 3:01pm

Kmo
Mmmm...Gus's...now I'm hungry!
January 23, 2010 3:12pm

Reasons to Lov…
[...] around outside. A few nights ago, after killing the better part of an eight piece family meal at Gus’s with a friend, I took a long walk near the Mississippi [...]
September 15, 2010 3:53pm

Michael
Maybe I need to give Gus’s another chance. I see them on these lists all too much. I have nothing wonderful to say about the chicken I was served. The skin was tough and burnt, and my order alone was $16! No alcohol. I’m sticking w Popeyes.
September 16, 2020 7:21am

Holly Whitfield
Hi Michael, I've never had a bad experience, but I have heard that as Gus's food has been little less consistent recently, and it sounds like you went on an iffy day -- bummer! People always talk about Popeye's, but I've only had horrible experiences at that chain - food poisoning, wrong orders, inedible undercooked chicken. Just goes to show that fried chicken might be a tough one to pin down for consistency! On the other hand, I have always had delicious meals at Joe's Fried Chicken and Uncle Lou's, so if you want to support some other local establishments, they're worth a try!
September 16, 2020 9:51am