Gluten-Free Restaurants in Memphis

Posted by Holly Whitfield | September 20th 2016 3989 2
lyfe-1

Whether you’re totally gluten-intolerant, or you just enjoy the health benefits of a gluten-free diet, it’s not always easy to find dining options beyond salads and bunless burgers. Here’s a list.

Keep in mind that these restaurants are not totally free of gluten contaminants. Always call ahead to find out the specifics if you have a serious gluten problem.

Bounty on Broad was entirely gluten free (except for the beer) but they have a new chef now, so I’m double checking that that’s still the case.

bounty

Cheffies in East Memphis can make most items gluten free.

– Huey’s locations have a gluten free menu you can ask your server for.

South of Beale dowtnwon has plenty of gluten free items marked in each section of the menu.

Local Gastropub has gluten free options.

Amerigo Italian restaurant offers gluten free pastas.

Lyfe Kitchen, which has downtown and East Memphis locations, has plenty of gluten free options. (The quinoa crunch bowl at the top of this post is gluten free.)

–  Julle’s Posh Foods, a delivery/pre-order service, has gluten free options.

– Pizza: There are quite a few pizza places in Memphis that offer gluten free pizza options. Check out the Memphis Flyer article, which has details.

Otherlands coffee shop and cafe in midtown, has gluten free options.

Bedrocks Eats & Sweets downtown has a bunch of gluten and grain free options, including some seriously impressive waffles.

bedrock-eats-waffle-bacon-breakfast

– All of Andrew Ticer and Michael Hudman’s restaurants can accommodate guests who don’t eat gluten, and the servers can answer questions about items on their seasonal menu. In addition: Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen has gluten free pasta, Hog & Hominy can make their pizza with gluten free dough, and Porcellino’s has gluten free banana bread.

Sweet Grass can make menu items gluten free “with a few changes”, so just ask.

Mosa Asian Bistro has gluten free options.

– Nourishe: Founded by two Memphis couples, Nourishe makes gluten, grain, dairy, and soy free mixes.

– Mary’s Gluten Free Goods: Inspired by her own battle with celiac, Mary Durham has been perfecting baking recipes for delicious gluten-free cookies, breads, and cupcakes for years. (Mary retired in the fall of 2015)

– I’ve heard that Rendezvous has gluten free options. I’ll get more info about BBQ places with gluten free options in town.

Know of more? Leave your ideas in the comments. I’m sure there are many.

Comments

1. Kelli says:

I don't live there anymore & I know more options than this.

PF Chang's has a whole gluten free menu

jasons Deli has gluten free bread

Rockin Dough has gluten free pizza bit call ahead to make sure they aren't out of it.

Gigi's has gluten free cupcakes on Fridays.

Houston's servers have intense menu ingredient knowledge & can tell you what is & isn't gluten free and how to make it gluten free.

Mellow Mushroom has a whole gluten free pizza menu.

Anerigo also has a gluten free dessert

2. Jessica says:

My husband has a gluten allergy and restaurant dining can be tricky! Thanks for posting this list! Our fave restaurants:

Petra at Poplar / Kirby Parkway-lamb shanks with rice and roasted artichokes with green beans or the dolmades or lamb salad.

Carraba's has a gluten free menu.

PF Chang's has a gluten free menu.

3. Leigh says:

High Point Pizza, Pyros, Ciao Bella and Russo's in Collierville all have GF pizza
    Bangkok Alley has a great GF red curry
    Tsunami, Cafe 1912, and Fuel can all accommodate GF
    Alchemy has GF options on the menu

4. patrick says:

Mosa Asian Bistro also has gluten free options.

5. We have several gluten-free options at our restaurant in East Memphis including edamame, Su Chai Vegetable, basil rolls and more. Check out our entire menu here: http://www.mosaasianbistro.com/menu

6. Debbie Moseley says:

Rock 'n dough pizza and Mellow Mushroom offer gluten free pizzas

7. Anne says:

I was hoping this article would have a few more suggestions. Maybe it can serve as a place to share though.

Here are a few other places I didn’t see listed yet… (They’re not exclusively Memphis but still good to know)

Red Robin has gluten free buns.

Dominos pizza has gluten free option.

Macaroni Grill has gluten free penne.

Whole Foods has a lot of gluten free options in their bakery.

8. Roxanne says:

Dominos pizza has a great gf pizza but go pick it up because it is cheaper.

Bonefish offers gf options

jim's place is awesome catering to any allergy needs. I have a gluten, pepper, and orange allergy an they make me delicious meals.

nothing bundt cakes has gf options

chick fil a has grilled nuggets and fries

jimmy johns has their unwich

9. Lisa Junkins says:

My son loves Russo's in Germantown for their GF pasta. Oh My Ganache in Collierville has great GF cupcakes. Red Robin offers a GF burger with an Udi's bun. Mellow Mushroom is his favorite GF pizza. Someone else mentioned Domino's but for those who need to avoid gluten for medical reasons Domino's takes no steps to avoid cross contamination & they admit on their website it isn't guarenteed GF.

10. Colt Dixon says:

Macaroni Grill has a gluten free menu, Hog and Hominy has gluten free pizzas, Chiwawa has many gluten free options that are labeled on the menu.
    While not precisely having a gluten free menu, Restaurant Iris’dinner for 2 is wonderfully accommodating for those with a gluten intolerance/celiac.

11. Mary says:

Ciao Bella's whole menu can be served gluten free except for meatballs or sausage.

12. Colt Dixon says:

Oh! I believe Pyro’s Pizza has a gluten free crust option. Pei Wei has a gluten free menu, but my girlfriend has reported getting sick from it anyway, so eat at your own risk there’s possible cross-contamination.

13. Colt Dixon says:

(sorry for the comment chain) For gluten free grocery options, the big Kroger on Poplar is great as is Whole Foods. Not really any local brands there, but it’s a great place to find things like gluten free flour or a gluten free frozen meal.

14. jan klein says:

Hog & Hominy has the best gf pizza crust that I've found. I even bought some to take home. Huey's allowed me to bring in a gf bun, Mosa's Su Chai vegetable with chicken, shrimp or tofu is a great gf option (and delicious) & I love that they have brown rice. Corky's Original sauce is gluten free so bring on the ribs & pulled pork! Buckley's servers are very knowledgeable about what is safe to eat & what isn't. All are great local restaurants.

15. Jana Smith says:

We find gluten free choices at Outback Steakhouse, Ruby Tuesday, Five Guys, Jim n Nicks, On the Border, O'Charles, McAllisters.  I am probably forgetting some.  I am excited to see more places listed here that I was not aware.  HOUSTON'S has always been a favorite, but the last time I ate there was the first time since being gluten free and their options seemed limited, but maybe I will try them again.

16. Pyro's has gluten free crust. If pizzas aren't your thing, they have an amazing egg skillet.

17. kim says:

Capital Grille and Seasons 52 both have GF menus and both claim to prevent cross contamination.

18. Sarah says:

This is a great post!

A couple of other places are Bluff City Coffee (They have a great peanut butter chocolate chip GF cookie and sometimes granola bars when they aren't sold out.), Pei Wei, South of Beale and I know theres a few more I'm missing but that's all I can think of that hasn't been mentioned!

19. Sarah says:

And, surprisingly, Cash Saver on Madison has GF Bisquick, GF Betty Crocker flour and GF Pillsbury pizza dough, pie dough and cookie dough! I found it is usually hit or miss at other grocery stores when looking for this, but everytime I have gone (which hasn't been too often) they always have had a great GF food selection. And, they have a great selection of GF beers.

20. Kirby says:

Thank goodness this is an ever growing list. It's challenging living a gluten free lifestyle here. I was diagnosed w/ Celiac two years ago, but had the worst time adjusting my diet. I lived in DC during an internship lady year and finally had access to a host of GF options in restaurants and markets. So transitioning back to Memphis wasn't that bad. Always read the label. Even if products have the GF seal, it may still contain soy/dairy ingredients. I learned that the hard way. Being a student always on the go and always hungry is a big challenge. Please keep us updated. And please keep commenting w/ other options we all may not be privy to. Thanks.

21. Holland H. says:

Just a word to the wise- Pyros says they offer gluten free crust, which they do. Though, here's the catch… gluten free pizza crust becomes very not-so-gluten-free when it is fired in an oven, sans pan, on a sifted bed of traditional flour. My experience there was horrible, the manager I spoke with refused to cook my pizza on a pan so it would be safe to eat, and was extremely rude to me. Needless to say, they have lost my business forever.

22. Pancho's Cheese dips and salsa are gluten free.

23. Shaun Scott says:

Andrew MIcheal Kitchen can do all of their menu items GF. They Have GF flour and pasta in the kitchen. Just tell the waiter and viola, Fine Dining gluten free style.

24. Brooke W says:

An update as far as pizza goes… Memphis Pizza Cafe as gluten free now and will also do cheese sticks gf.   I'm not celiac but extremely sensitive and I've always done ok there.  I think their dough is the best in town and I've tried them all. I rarely eat the things at WF that say made in a facility/same line as wheat/gluten and I'm okay at Pizza Cafe. They seem to take really good care at no cross contaimination.  But it is made in the same kitchen fyi

25. Abbey says:

New GF restaurant: Maui Brick Oven … Haven't had a chance to try it but the WHOLE restaurant is gf!!!!

• Holly Whitfield says:

Abbey, I was there on opening day and it was pretty great! Bounty is another one I need to add to this list, and Maui Brick Oven will be added after I post my article. Thanks for commenting 🙂

26. Elizabeth Lee says:

Pyro's now cooks their gluten free pizzas in a pan. I have eaten there twice now and have not have a problem with cross-contamination.

27. Eric says:

What about BBQ places?  I'm coming through Memphis for the first time in June and of course we have to try some BBQ, but all the places I've looked at only have dry meats, no GF sauces.  Please advise, thanks everyone!

28. Larry says:

I thought Mary retired.

29. Tamela Thompson says:

Stone Soup Cafe has TONS of gluten free options!

30. jeremy says:

Ok, lots to say here, as my wife was diagnosed with celiac a number of years ago and we’ve been on an ever widening search for gluten free options at restaurants in Memphis since. Here goes.

Mary’s Gluten Free Goods was the best. “Was” being the operative word, as she has unfortunately rolled back and essentially ceased operations. https://www.facebook.com/MarysGlutenFreeGoods/posts/985700278155409

If you want local pizza, all Pyro’s locations, Hog & Hominy, and Memphis Pizza Cafe have gluten free pizza crusts available.

Bounty is still gluten free and my wife’s favorite place to eat in town.

Like Amerigo, Ciao Bella in East Memphis has gluten free pasta available. They are also the only place in town that we’ve found which regularly serves a gluten free cheesecake.

Texas de Brazil has gluten free Pão de Queijo (Brazilian cheese bread) which is amazing and should be on the menu at every restaurant. The meat is also nearly all gluten free.

For breakfast, Staks Pancake Kitchen serves gluten free buckwheat pancakes.

Finding BBQ which is 100% gluten free is unfortunately difficult, but Corky’s BBQ is gluten free, including the sauce (ribs & pulled pork). Germantown Commissary sauce is also gluten free.

A lot of other places around can accommodate gluten free requests and some even have a printed gluten free menu, including (non-exhaustive list) Interim, Flight, Flemings, Owen Brennans, Ruth’s Chris, Folk’s Folly, Acre, The Farmer, Jim’s Place, Capital Grille, Restaurant Iris, Napa Cafe, Felicia Suzanne’s, Alchemy, Babalu, Fuel, Strano, and many others.

mic drop

31. Mark says:

Anywhere with a separate and dedicated fryer for french fries is good information. Quite frankly it makes the difference in the BBQ experience. I assume you are listing local places only (not franchises).

32. Heather says:

Java Cabana in Cooper-Young has gluten-free, vegan cookies and sometimes has very yummy gluten-free brownies.

33. Christina says:

Thanks SO MUCH for this post!! Just moved to Memphis last year and love seeing all the fantastic food this area has to offer….. but being newly GF for only the last few months, most of it is now off the menu for my husband and me. Will definitely be referring to this post often!

From what’s already mentioned, we love Bounty on Broad (100% GF menu), Pyro’s, and Lyfe Kitchen. Firebirds in Bartlett has a great GF menu and J. Alexander’s Redlands Grill can accommodate GF pretty well too – one of our faves! Cheesecake Factory at Wolfchase has a handful of GF options, including Shepherd’s Pie and some pastas, as well as a Godiva Chocolate Cheesecake!