8 Ways To Celebrate Elvis' 88th Birthday
8 Ways To Celebrate Elvis' 88th Birthday
Elvis would be 88 years old on January 8, 2023.
Whether you're a card-carrying Elvis fan club member or just like an excuse to enjoy a special day, here are eight ways to honor the King's birthday on January 8.
How To Celebrate Elvis's Birthday:
1. Tune in to the Graceland Official Birthday Proclamation Ceremony
Graceland throws down for The King with a week of events and parties. Check out the details here. The annual birthday ceremony at Graceland will be broadcast online if you can't make it to Memphis in person this year.
2. Say Happy Birthday "In Person" during free walk-up times
Free walk-up visits to the Meditation Garden at Graceland are daily 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. You may enter the gates and visit the grave sites of Elvis and his family members during this time.
3. Listen to Elvis and Elvis-inspired Music
4. Visit the new "The Making Of ELVIS: Movie Exhibition"
The Graceland Exhibition Center will host a new installation dedicated to the 2022 Baz Luhrmann ELVIS movie; it opens on January 8th. You can see behind-the-scenes videos from the making of the film, plus artifacts, scripts, handwritten notes, props, and costumes. More about The Making of Elvis: Movie Exhibition here.
5. Take Your Picture With Elvis
If you're downtown, stop by the statue on Beale between 2nd and Main for a photo opp with Elvis. Bonus points if you post it online and tag it #ilovememphis or #happybirthdayElvis so I can share it on Twitter or Instagram. Be sure to mask up and social distance.
6. Check out Lansky Bros. at 126 Beale Street, or online
Lansky Bros., the family business that dressed Elvis, still has their locations inside the Peabody Hotel, but the newest location is where their original store was on Beale Street. There is plenty of rock 'n' roll-inspired attire and even some blue suede shoes. You can also shop online.
7. Plan to visit Sun Studio
If you haven't visited Sun Studio yet, make a plan to get there in the future. The tour guides are some of the absolutely best around and though the building is small, it's full of life, history, and intrigue. I highly recommend.
8. Plan To Visit Other Memphis Music Attractions
So much of Memphis music influenced or was influenced by Elvis' work. Plan ahead to pay homage to his inspirations and legacy at these other museums in the future.
- The Rock 'n' Soul Museum is a Smithsonian-associated museum that tells the story of Memphis music across genres and time periods. I love how it looks at the city's musical history as a whole, and uses first-person accounts (mostly audio recordings) to really dig deep.
- Memphis Music Hall of Fame (Elvis was inducted in 2012) has a physical location at 126 Beale Street upstairs from Lansky Bros.
Bonus: Eat some Elvis-inspired treats, like Elvis's favorite sandwich
- Birthday treats for everyone!
- Here's a post about a bacon-banana-peanut-butter sandwich that's super easy to make.
- Or, you can head over to Elvis Presley's Memphis (the entertainment complex across the street from Graceland ) to the "Gladys' Diner" restaurant and order your very own PB&B sammy.
- The Arcade restaurant in downtown Memphis was one of Elvis' favorite spots, and they still serve up a fried peanut butter and banana sandwich.
Happy Birthday Elvis! How are you celebrating?
Denise Skelton UK
I got the chance to visit Graceland for the first time last year. We also visited Sun Studio's: https://britonthemove.com/visit-graceland/ both are fantastic! I did not know that he would have been 86 this year. While we were there we got to pay our respects at the meditation garden where he rests. Nikki
We just came home from Graceland on July 12 th 2021. It was some thing I wanted to do for years ! My husband gave miss this as a gift! It was a amazing sight to see something I will never forget! I love him for this gift. Seeing what his life was like! Seeing his house and things he left for his family Lisa Marie life with her daddy Priscilla and his wedding outfit and Priscilla‘s gown and little Lisa’s bedroom said it was something to see and the way he lived was not so extravagant it was very simple but he saved everything receipts his wallet his keys things of his life he died at such a young age but he left his music behind and now he is gone but he’s not forgotten I was only five years old when I started having and loving hisMusic he’ll always be someone special to everyone may God bless him and I always watch over his family
Thank you for the wonderful note! I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit to Memphis.
My birthday is January 8th I am an Elvis baby will be there on the 13th to honor the man
Never been to Memphis. But I will soon.
I love elvis very much and hope to meet him in heaven some day
i love elvis
I still love Elvis so much. I am watching G.I. Blues right now. I would have have anything to have saw him but I was too young by then. He just didn’t realize how many people all over the world loved him and still does because I’m one of them. He was one handsome man.
Elvis has always been number one, also all my family & friends love his music & memories
I have listen to the king since I was 5 yrs old.I sometimes feel cheated because we did not get to see him grow old gracefully but,I am very happy we got to share the time we did,there is not a day I don't think about him. He was nothing but superb,and that is putting it mildly.