Fresh Market Midtown is Super Fresh
The newest grocery store in Memphis is the Fresh Market at the corner of Cooper and Union in midtown, in the old Ike's location. It opened to the public at 8 a.m. this morning, and I was there for the cracking of the cheese. (At Fresh Market, they bust open a new wheel of parmesan cheese instead of the usual ribbon cutting.)
– All the produce is stacked very, very prettily and the lighting makes everything look delicious.
– There's an enormous selection of pre-made food, including sushi, sandwiches, burgers, kebobs, crab cakes, deli-style salads, rotisserie chicken, meats, and of course, a bunch of ridiculously good-looking baked goods. Some of the meat and seafood come with cooking instructions/recipes.
– There's also a candy aisle, a coffee stand ($1 a cup), and a beer section, along with all the usual grocery aisles.
– This location created between 70 and 80 new jobs for Memphians.
– This location has a partnership with the Mid-South Food Bank to make daily food donations.
– Fresh Market is open daily from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
Check out this slideshow of photos I took today.
Fresh Market Midtown
2145 Union Avenue (at Cooper and Union)
Memphis, Tennessee 38104