Places in Memphis That Have Free Wifi
Places in Memphis That Have Free Wifi
Memphis may not have city-wide wireless access yet, but there are a ton of places all over Memphis that offer free WiFi to customers. Here's a list:
- South of Beale - A gastropub with great food and a full bar. The wireless is free, just ask your server for the password.
- Flying Saucer - A bar and restaurant in the downtown core with one of the biggest beer selections in town. They've got plenty of space (and a daily $2.75 beer special). Ask your server for the password.
- City Market - City Market is primarily a grocery store, but they've got a small deli and quite a bit of indoor and outdoor seating if you need to stick around and use the internet.
- Bardog Tavern - A two-story downtown bar with excellent food. If you need to get some work done early, they've got one of the best breakfasts in town. Ask your server for the password.
- Bluff City Coffee - The South Main Arts District's favorite coffee shop. They've got coffee, tea and smoothies and are located within walking distance of the train station, the Memphis Farmer's Market, the Arcade and the Civil Rights museum.
- Tennessee Welcome Center - Get off the interstate and get internet access at the Tennessee Welcome Center on Riverside Drive.
- Peabody Hotel - The South's grand hotel has free wifi in their amazing lobby.
- The M-Spot - The Memphis Chamber of Commerce runs a wifi hotspot around their office on Front St. There are a handful of tables on a covered patio next to the deli.
- Little Cafe Eclectic - The Harbortown outpost of Cafe Eclectic is more of a coffee shop than it's larger, Midtown location. They've got really good coffee, tasty pastries and a small food menu. Also, they've got plenty of comfy chairs.
- Bon-Ton Cafe - After a four-year hiatus, the Bon-Ton Cafe on Monroe is open for breakfast and lunch Monday - Saturday. Try the tomato basil soup if they have it.
- Dream Berry Frozen Yogurt - Load up a cup with frozen yogurt and toppings, pay by weight, take your pick of indoor or outdoor tables.
- Miss Cordelia's - A downtown grocery store with a deli counter, prepared food, free wifi and indoor and outdoor seating.
- Double J Saloon and Smokehouse - A Western-themed smokehouse and barbecue joint in South Main. If you need a quiet place, check out the upstairs bar. As a bonus, they're open late.
Midtown / U of M Area
- Republic Coffee - Republic is open until midnight every night, and they've got great coffee and a full menu. Occasionally, there's live music or readings from local authors.
- Java Cabana - Cooper Young's coffee house is small, cozy, and pretty quiet during the day. They also take debit cards now.
- Bella Cafe - The restaurant inside the Pink Palace is open the same hours as the museum and has full meals and free wifi.
- The P&H Cafe - One of the best places in town to grab a pitcher and a patty melt while you work. Just don't pull out your laptop during trivia on Tuesday nights.
- Otherlands - My personal favorite spot for getting work done. This Midtown coffee shop has a loyal crowd of regulars. If you want to get work done, but also want the option of conversation, Otherlands is a great.
- Cafe Eclectic - I wouldn't go for the wifi during peak mealtimes (when servers are looking to turn tables), but it's great during the afternoon and late evening lulls. During the school year, it's usually packed with students from nearby Rhodes College.
- The Edge Coffeehouse - The Edge has moved from its old location on Overton Park to a new place on Cooper (between Peabody and Central). They've got great hours - 6 a.m. until 1 a.m. everyday.
- The Blue Monkey - A restaurant and bar near Overton Square. They're open for lunch, dinner, and late nights.
- Caritas Village - Part coffee shop, part diner, part art gallery, part living room, Caritas is located in the basement of a church in Binghampton. They've got great cheap food, too.
- Oasis Hookah Lounge - An alcohol-free hookah bar and coffee shop near the University of Memphis. They're open until 1 a.m. on weeknights and 3 a.m. on weekends.
- Young Ave. Deli - The Young Avenue Deli has a huge beer selection, a big menu of deli favorites, pizzas and quesadillas, and a foosball table. Occasionally, they've got live music.
- Wash World - If you want to know about the quality of the wireless at a laundromat, know that I wouldn't have been able to write this post (or have clean clothes) without it.
- India Palace - An Indian restaurant in Midtown. In addition to Indian food, they've also got beers and a lunch buffet.
- Tropical Smoothie Cafe - Get a giant smoothie and a healthy snack while you work. They're open seven days a week.
East Memphis (and the Burbs)
- Poplar Perk'n - Memphis' most compact coffee shop isn't great for long periods of wireless use, but it's perfect for checking things on the go.
- Booksellers at Laurelwood - A huge East Memphis bookstore with a great restaurant inside. Bronte Bistro serves breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Panera Bread - The two Memphis-area Panera Bread locations have free wifi. The one in East Memphis is just a few minutes away from the Memphis Botanic Gardens and Oak Court Mall. There's a second location at Trinity Commons in Cordova.
- Flying Saucer - The Cordova location of the Flying Saucer has a full menu, a full bar, and an awesome patio. Ask your server for the password.
- Whole Foods Poplar - Load up at the salad bar, grab a table, use the internet for free.
- Cosmic Coconut - A vegan-friendly juice bar with fresh juices, smoothies and snacks. Try the Cuke Skywalker.
- Chuck Hutton Toyota - If you have to wait while your car is serviced, Chuck Hutton's got the wifi.
Places with Wi-fi at All Locations
- Yolo - Eat some frozen yogurt or gelato and get your work done at the same time. All three Yolos have free wireless. Be sure to tag whatever you post #yolo just to confuse people.
- Fox and Hound - All of the Fox and Hound locations have Wireless. It's a bar, so it's open late and it's a good place to watch sports.
- All Starbucks locations - Starbucks finally made their wireless service free a few months ago. There are dozens of locations for the coffee chain all over the city.
- Memphis Visitor's Centers - All of the Memphis visitor information centers have internet access, which makes any last minute trip planning a little easier.
- Memphis Public Libraries - They're cold, they're quiet, they've got tons of computers (and places to sit if you bring your own) and they're all over town.
- Holiday Ham - All of Holiday Ham and Deli's Memphis locations have wifi. They're open seven days a week, and are located all over the city and suburbs.
This list is long, but it isn't complete. If you know of somewhere else that's got free wifi, leave it in the comments and I'll add it to the list.