Monday News Update: Little Earthquakes Edition
Today in Memphis, the ground shakes, the polls are open (at least for a few more days), and you've got a chance to show off your talents, no matter what they may be. All of that and more in today's Memphis news update.
Made in Memphis by @rachgsmith via Instagram. If you'd like to see your photos here, tag them #ilovememphis on Instagram.
– There was a wee tiny earthquake this morning – a magnitude 3.9 quake centerd in Parkin, Ark. Memphis seems to be divided between people who very much felt the tremors and people who (like me) woke up all "Earthquake? What earthquake?".
– Don't procrastinate on democracy – early voting closes in Memphis on Thursday, Nov. 1. Remember, during early voting, you can vote anywhere, but if you wait until election day, you'll have to stick to your assigned polling location.
– It's time to show off your skills (if you have them): "America's Got Talent" is holding auditions for season eight in Memphis. The venue hasn't been announced yet, but the date has – December 11, 2012. Start practicing now.
– Good news for Hotel Chisca: COGIC sold the building to a development group, which means that renovations on the historic building will start soon – like, early spring soon.
– In other building good news, the Mallory-Neely house in Victorian Village will reopen to the public in November.
– If you're looking to have a very good, very special meal this week, big deal New York chef Tien Ho is taking over Hog and Hominy on Oct. 30 and 31. Reservations are most definitely required.