Monday News Update: Go Fuente Tigers Go Edition
Today in Memphis, the Tigers celebrate their first football win in forever, the wait on the downtown Central Barbecue is over, and it's Canadian Thanksgiving. Also, I'm happy to share with you the strangest local campaign music video of all time.
The green carpet at Memphis City Beautiful's annual Curb Couture Trashion Show, a fashion show where all of the clothing is made of recycled materials.
– Firstly, congratulations to the University of Memphis football team on their first win of the Fuente Era (and the season). They beat Rice 14-10 in the Liberty Bowl on Saturday.
– In basketball news, the Grizzlies won their pre-season opener against Real Madrid, and Penny Hardaway and Peyton Manning have joined the new Grizzlies ownership group.
– Friendly reminder: today is the very last day to register to vote for this year's presidential election. Here's how to register.
– Speaking of elections, this is the strangest local congressional campaign video I've ever seen. The dollars, the lines, the floating purple hearts, the rhyming of "Flynn" with "Congressman" – I'm so confused.
– Happy Canadian Thanksgiving! I didn't realize that Canadians had Thanksgiving, but they do, and today is the day. Kooky Canuck is celebrating with traditional Canadian Thanksgiving dinner and 99 cent Labatt Blue Draft all day.
– The wait is over: Central Barbecue's downtown location (in S. Main, behind the Civil Rights Museum) opened on Friday.
– Lastly, thank you to everyone who voted for I Love Memphis for best blog and best Twitter account in the Memphis Flyer's Best of Memphis. You guys are awesome, and I'm still kind of amazed that this thing that I made matters. Thank you.