fbpx

City Market Brings Groceries to the Downtown Core

Posted by Holly Whitfield | December 3rd 2010 5084 0

Downtown core residents, rejoice! With the opening of City Market, you’re a little closer to having a grocery store downtown.

City Market, downtown Memphis, Tenn.

Technically, City Market is a full-service grocery store, albeit a small one. Their narrow space at the corner of Union and Main is crammed with international foods, organic goods and produce. They’re not fully stocked yet, but I was impressed with the selection. Their cheese section is fairly robust, the selection of gourmet goods is large, and they still manage to fit in plenty of staple items (paper towels, laundry detergent, dog food). I wish they carried more produce, but I get that space is at a premium (and, there’s an Easy Way down the street).

A large portion of City Market is taken up by their prepared foods operation. They’ve got a counter that sells sandwiches, paninis, soups and wraps as well as salads, mac’n’cheese and sushi from Umai. Though today is only their second day in business, a line was already forming for lunch. If you want to eat at City Market, you can – there are a few tables, and they offer free WiFi.

City Market, Memphis, Tenn.

City Market is open Monday – Saturday from 7 a.m. – 10 p.m., and on Sundays from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. I’m looking forward to seeing what downtown’s newest market becomes.

Go there:

City Market

66 S. Main St., Ste. 100

Memphis, TN 38103

Comments

1. margot says:

Hooray City Market!

2. Andy says:

I think small grocery stores like this are key for Downtown. While Memphians are more familiar with large grocery stores with large parking lots, that’s not what is needed Downtown.

3. barry says:

I just bought my first items at City Market. I am happy to have this specialty grocery downtown and look forward to teh new items that I am certain will be filling the shelves.

I bought some grapes, along with a few other needs, today. After taking the grapes out of the bag to wash, I began to notice mold. More than half had to be discarded due to softness and moldiness. I spent over $6.oo for an average size bag and am quite disappointed. Either check the produce carefully every morning or change distributor, but this problem should not exist.

I will return for other items, but will probably buy produce from my usual location.

Good Luck.

4. Hamida says:

Barry,

We apologize about your experience at the market.
    We will be on top of it to make sure the produce is as fresh as it can be. Please let us correct by offering you any item at the store of equal amount.
    Thanks

Hamida

5. Britttttt says:

I cannot tell you how excited I was about the new City Market. I live at Union and Front so it is more of a dream come true…

My first 2 trips were great but I have been back literally the last 4 times and they have not had what I needed which is so disappointing!! You think it is great and all having the market in such reach but can’t they at least carry what the average consumer is looking for.

I will go back in hopes of becoming familiar with the owners so maybe they will carry things we need.

6. Hamida says:

Britt ,

I am sure Sunny can find what you need.Pease stop by and bring us the list that you would like us to carry and if there is a consumer demand we will have it in. We have ordered specialty items for customers too. I am positive we will be able to bring in an average consumer item for you. We appreciate neighbors suggestion and try helping as much as we can.

Hamida