The Breakfast Brackets

Posted by Holly Whitfield | November 10th 2009 4468 0

Memphians are an opinionated bunch. I asked a simple question – “Who’s got the best breakfast in Memphis”. I got at least two dozen answers, a lot of persuasion and a healthy dose of smack talk.

There had to be a better way. A somewhat scientific system for determining who’s breakfast reigns supreme.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the Breakfast Bracket:

The Breakfast Bracket - Its on!

The Breakfast Bracket - It's on!

Here’s how it’s going to work:

The first round was randomly chosen.

In the first round, all restaurants will be judged on the following criteria and scored on a scale of 1-10 (10 being the high score):

– Coffee

– Biscuit

– Pancake

– Bacon

– Scrambled Egg

– Grits

– Atmosphere

– Service

– Price

In the second round, restaurants will be judged on their house specialties. The third round will be Chef’s choice. The last round will be insane.

Brunch has been separated out into a separate bracket, as breakfast and brunch are two entirely different animals.

Any early predictions? Place your bets now.

Comments

1. shaneofmemphis says:

Bro Juniper’s vs. Bryant’s in the finals. Bro Juniper’s wins because they have cheese grits.

2. Stacey says:

Who are the judges?

3. john says:

Great idea and great choices. Was there any seeding to determine which restaurant went into which bracket? I personally think the top right bracket is loaded with #1 seeds.

4. Evil says:

Yes, who are the judges and how does one volunteer for said position?

5. admin says:

@john – The brackets were chosen at random.

@Stacey and @Evil – the judges are myself and a rotating cast of dining companions, including The Grit, sanctioned Breakfast Bracket Grits Taster

6. FutureFox says:

When can we expect to see the results for each round, and the overall results? Can we show up to root for our favorite places/dishes? Will you post details regarding each round, ie- who has the best pancakes, coffee, etc?

A little about me: I am 6mos pregnant. Food is very important to me right now.

7. Kathryn says:

I agree it is Bryant’s vs. Brother Junipers BUT I predict Bryant’s will pull out the win because while I love the cheese grits at Bro Junipers, the last 3 times I’ve gone, they’ve been cold:(

8. Brad says:

HA! what a great idea! Brother Junipers should walk away with it… but I enjoy a good competition.

9. Carbunkle Trumpet says:

I would be 300 pounds at the end of this!

10. FutureFox says:

Wow, I guess there *are* people that like Brother Junipers. I’m a Cafe Eclectic devotee myself.

11. Tyler White says:

Recent Memphian; i’ve only been to about half of the list. I’d take Barksdale over Blue Plate/Bryants/Bagel Shop/CKs. Only had the Beignets at Cafe Beignet which were solid. I was supremely underwhelmed by Brother Junipers; as much as that place is talked up it earned a meh at best. Republic and Eclectic are both solid for updated/higher end ingredient menus. Most of my breakfasts here are with son and father in law who is the old school diner type. We’re trying Pancake Shop soon. Father and law hasn’t been since they’ve changed the smoking laws: he only remembers it as being an ashtray.

12. […] now for the scores (as based on this handy scoring rubrik). Remember that all scores are based on a scale of 1-10, with 10 being the highest possible […]

13. Memfisbelle says:

Buns on the Run is a no show. Is it still in business? Haven’t been in forever.

14. admin says:

Buns on the Run went out of business last fall. It was one of my long-time favorites.

15. […] game two of the breakfast brackets. In one corner, a relative newcomer to the Memphis breakfast scene, known for its coffee and […]

16. […] game six of the Breakfast Brackets, y’all. That means only two more match-ups before Round Two starts.  Woot! Here’s […]

17. Patti says:

Au Fond Farmtable is the new French Bristro in the Cooper-Young area. The menu is written on chalkboard-painted doors that hang above the counter. Fantastic breakfast menu, very affordable, great outside patio, and delicious food.