I Love Memphis Guide to New Year’s Eve 2015
I have some fun and festive ways to celebrate the end of 2014 and the beginning of 2015 in Memphis. I've added New Year's Day brunch and lunch ideas to the bottom of this post. Scroll down or click here for Memphis New Year's Day Brunch/Openings.
– AutoZone Liberty Bowl, Liberty Bowl Memorial Stadium, Dec. 29, 1 p.m., various prices, all ages
Join 60,000 football fans in Midtown for the annual AutoZone Liberty Bowl. This year, the Texas A&M Aggies will take on West Virginia University Mountaineers. Make a weekend of it – there's a free pep rally at 5 p.m. on Sunday, December 28 on Beale Street, and a pre-game buffet before kickoff ($40) at 10 a.m.
– The Holiday Turn Up Feat. Mindless Behavior, Minglewood Hall, Dec. 30, 7 p.m., $35+ fees, all ages
From Minglewood's site: "In just the past few years, teen-pop/R&B quartet Mindless Behavior have opened up sold-out shows for the likes of Justin Bieber and Janet Jackson…" If they're fans, take the teens to see Prodigy, Roc Royal, Ray Ray, and Princeton on New Year's Eve Eve.
– Ninja New Year's at Noon, Children's Museum of Memphis, Dec. 31, 10 a.m. – 1 p.m., free for members / $15 non-members, all ages
For those hard partiers that aren't allowed to stay up until midnight (aka, children), CMOM is hosting their annual New Year's at Noon party on Wednesday, December 31. This year's theme is ninjas (and also turtles, apparently). Kids can dress up, do a museum scavenger hunt, do crafts and enjoy a 12 p.m. balloon/candy drop.
– Sky Zone NYE Jump, Sky Zone Memphis, Dec. 31, 10 a.m. – 6 p.m., prices vary, all ages
Sky Zone will be open on New Year's Eve for open jump hours. If you want to book the facility for your group after 6 p.m. (or even up to/after midnight), you can. Just call (901) 322-3281.
– New Year's Eve at Huey's, all Huey's locations, Dec. 31, 8:30 p.m., no cover, 18 and up
Celebrate New Year's Eve at any Huey's location with good food, free midnight champagne (for 21 and up, of course, for that part), and free party favors. There will be live music at three locations: the Charles Walker Band in Cordova, The Dantones in Germantown, and The Mudflaps in midtown.
– New Year's Eve at River Oaks, 5871 Poplar Ave., Dec. 31, dinner seatings begin at 5 p.m., $65+, all ages
Have dinner at River Oaks to celebrate the New Year. Choose from the regular food and wine menu or go with chef José's three-course dinner with wine pairings for $100 per person plus tax and gratuity ($65 without wine). Space fills quickly, so call 901-683-9305 for reservations.
– Itta Bena Dinner and Show, Itta Bena, Dec. 31, 5 p.m. and 9 p.m., $69 – $89 + tax/gratuity, 21 and up
The Susan Marshall trio and the chefs at Itta Bena are here to help you ring in the new year. Four-course dinners are available in two seatings either at 5 p.m. ($69) or 9 p.m. ($89). The latter includes party favors and a midnight champagne toast. Call 901-578-3031 for reservations.
– New Year's Eve Speakeasy Style, The Blind Bear, Dec. 31, 5 p.m., dinner is $45/person or $80/couple, $15 cover after 9 p.m., 21 and up
Say hello to 2014 at Memphis' only speakeasy with a meal (make reservations starting at 5 p.m.), music from Malaya at 9 p.m., DJ Erik Hurston at 11 p.m.
– Bo Keys Show and Balloon Drop, Lafayette's Music Room, Dec. 31, 6 p.m., $25 – $75, 21 and up
Buzz McIntyre and the Gloominati play from 6 p.m. – 10 p.m. and the Bo Keys take the stage at 10:30 p.m. Tickets include champagne toast, party favors, and midnight balloon drop. Two dinner/drink packages are available: $50 for 6 p.m. – 8:30 p.m. seating or $75 for seating after 9 p.m. Gratuity and tax are included in those. Call (901) 207-5097 for reservations or go here to buy online.
– Ring In The Neu Year at Bleu, Bleu Restaurant, Dec. 31, $75 per person, 21 and up
Enjoy a chef-inspired four-course meal, live entertainment in the Bleu Lounge and a champagne toast. Call (901) 334-5950 for reservations. Valet parking at the Westin (across from FedExForum, where Bleu is located) is complimentary!
– New Year's Eve Package at B.B. King's, B.B. King's Blues Club, Dec. 31, all night, $80/person + tax/gratuity, 21 and up
The NYE Dinner Package at B.B. King's on Beale includes a three-course dinner (think gumbo, fried pickles, ribs, shrimp and grits), party favors, champagne toast and live music. If you just want to dance and drink, buy $25 advance tickets or pay $30 at the door. Call 901-524-5454 for reservations.
– New Year's Eve on Beale, Handy Park and Beale Street, Dec. 31, celebration begins at 6 p.m., free, 21 and up
The city's biggest NYE party starts at 6 p.m. and includes live music, fireworks and a giant guitar drop at Hard Rock Cafe. If mass revelry is your thing, this is the place to be. You'll want to plan ahead, though. This year, CNN will broadcast live from Beale and crowds could reach up to 50,000 people, so leave plenty of time for traffic, ID checks, and lines. If not leaving the house is your thing, you can watch it live on CNN.
– 2015 Hard Rock Guitar Drop – A NYE Celebration (126 Beale St.), Dec. 31, 6:30 p.m. – 2 a.m., $20 general admission, $100 VIP, 21 and up
See The Bar-Kays live inside the new Hard Rock Cafe location on New Year's Eve, enjoy the Giant Guitar drop, then celebrate the night away with more music and drink specials. VIP gets you front row seat to the guitar drop, champagne toast, food and drink tickets. Reserve your space online, standing room only.
– Zebra Lounge NYE Party, Zebra Lounge, Dec. 31, 8 p.m. – until, no cover, 21 and up
Midtown's "one and only piano bar" in Overton Square will help you sing right on into 2015 with live piano music, no cover, and plenty of champagne for all.
– Chapstik's NYE Extravaganza, Kudzu's (603 Monroe Ave.), 8 p.m., $10, 21 and up
From the FB event page: Chapstik's New Year's Eve Extravaganza will feature the River City Tanlines and The Switchblade Kid! Also, art by Alicja Trout and we'll be doing some unique comedy that's guaranteed to entertain…free Miller High Life (the Champagne of Beers) for the midnight toast.
– NYE with John Paul Keith, Schweinehaus, Dec. 31, 9 p.m. – midnight, cover TBD, 21 and up
Memphis musician John Paul Keith will play in the new year, plus food and drink specials and a bubbly (or beer) toast at midnight. Cover charge begins at 9 p.m. and the music's at 10 p.m.
– LightsOut NYE Experience, New Daisy Theatre, Dec. 31, 9 p.m. – 5 a.m., $20 before 12/21, $30 after 12/22, 21 and up
Party Down South's Mattie & Daddy host a dance party with Memphis DJs all night long, and Pyramid Vodka provides a complimentary bar (wow) until 10:30 p.m.
– Peabody Hotel New Year's Eve Party, Peabody Hotel, Dec. 31, 9 p.m. – 3 a.m., $35 advance online / $45 door, 21+
The Peabody always goes all out for New Year's Eve, and this year is no exception. On the 31st, they'll have a massive party with music from Swingin Leroy, Seeing Red, and DJ Mark Anderson. If you spring for the VIP lounge tickets ($125), you'll have access to a buffet and unlimited champagne, Stella Artois, and valet. There are also NYE dinners at Capriccio Grill and Chez Philippe.
– Mad Mad Mad New Year's Eve Bash, Madison Hotel, Dec. 31, 9 p.m. – 1 a.m., $45, 21 and up
Head to the Ballroom and heated Main Street patio at the Madison Hotel for a New Year's Eve bash with a live DJ, dance floor, food, and cash bar (first drink is included in ticket price). There's also a NYE dinner at eighty3 restaurant.
– New Year's Party with Jack O. and The Tearjerkers w/ Dead Soliders, The Sheiks, Hi-Tone Cafe, Dec. 31, 9 p.m., $10, 21 and up
From the FB event page: "This New Years we bid farewell not only to 2014 but to [owner] Jonathan Kiersky who will be handing over the keys to the Hi-Tone to new ownership. Come help us party extra hard and wish him well in his future endeavors. Cheap Champagne toast! Abuse of bottom shelf whiskey! So many PBR! Come dressed up in your fancy best or your Midtown worst!" …You get the picture.
– MemPhoenix Dance Party, The Phoenix (1015 S. Cooper St.), 9:30 p.m – 1 a.m., $5 adv./$7 at the door, 21 and up
From the FB event page: "Phunky Phoenix is a come as you are, BYOB, party-til-you-can't-no-more event featuring the one and only DJ Wyzlyfe on the 1's and 2's: spinning funk, pop, new wave, EDM, drum n bass, reggae, dance hall, hip hop . . . anything that will keep bodies moving." The party benefits the Memphis Center for Independent Living.
– Totally Celtic 80s and 90s NYE, Celtic Crossing, Dec. 31, 10 p.m., $15 – $60+, 21 and up
Celtic's NYE party is all about dancing, drinking, and benefitting the Humane Society of Memphis and Shelby County. DJ Tree spins at 10 p.m. and there's a champagne toast, balloon drop, and party favors at midnight. The Champagne Package for two includes all of that, a whole bottle of bubbly, an appetizer and $10 donation to HSMSC. Call for 901-274-5151 reservations or go online.
– Flyer Saucer NYE Parties, Flying Saucer downtown and Cordova locations, Dec. 31, all night, $5 – $40, 21 and up
The Flying Saucer downtown will have tunes by Red Letter Day, a champagne toast at midnight, and a complimentary late night breakfast buffet. Table reservations are available for $40 (four people per table) and standing room only tickets are available for $10 per person. At the Cordova location, enjoy 80s music, party favors, a champagne toast, special beer tappings and shot specials throughout the night. Cover is $5 for U.F.O. Club members and military personnel and $10 for the general public.
– NYE Bash at the P&H, P&H Cafe, Dec. 31, all night, $5 cover, 21 and up
I heard through the grapevine that the P&H will have a band (James and the Ultrasounds), a midnight champagne toast, and dance party on New Year's Eve.
– New Year's at Club Spectrum, Club Spectrum aka Drink-N-Drag (616 Marshall Ave.), Dec. 31, $10/$15 V.I.P., doors at 9 p.m., 21 and up
From Bianca Phillip's article in the Flyer: Club Spectrum, also known as Drink-N-Drag, opened its doors at 616 Marshall four years ago on New Year's Eve. They'll be celebrating the club's anniversary and the end of 2014 on Wednesday, December 31st with a New Year's Eve Celebration. The party features music Krutch and DJ Spaceage, and there's a special drag show at 11:30 p.m., following by a champagne toast at midnight.
– Paula & Raiford's Disco NYE Party, 142 S. 2nd St., Dec. 31, 9 p.m. – 3 a.m., $20-$25 cover, 21 and up
What night of the year could be more appropriate to dance in the neon-lit, smoke-filled retro glory of Raiford's? There's no place like it, really. Raiford's does have a full bar, including champagne. Just don't forget that it's CASH ONLY.
– 70s/80s/90s Themed Skate Nights and Owl Prowl, Memphis Zoo, Jan. 1 – 3, prices vary, all ages
While it's not exactly for New Year's, you can celebrate the first three days of 2015 with themed skate parties at the Memphis Zoo ice rink. The theme for Jan. 1 is the 70s, theme for Jan. 2 is the 80s, and Jan. 3's theme is the 90s. There's also a Living Social deal until 12/31 for Owl Prowl 15-person after hour tours of the zoo.
New Year's Day Brunch in Memphis
Bleu will have a special brunch menu.
Bosco's will open at 10:30 a.m. for brunch.
Lafayette's Music Room will open at 11 a.m. for brunch.
Tamp & Tap will open at 9 a.m. with a Hangover Brunch menu.
Tart will serve brunch from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m.
New Year's Day Openings in Memphis
Brookhaven Pub will be open with regular hours and menu.
All Huey's locations will be open with regular hours and menu.
Kooky Canuck's two locations will be open with regular hours and menu, plus $5 mimosas/Marys.
Patrick's will be open regular hours with complimentary black eyed peas.
Peabody Hotel restaurants will be open regular hours and menu.
S.O.B. will be open with regular hours and menu.
If you know of any NYE events that aren't on this list, please leave them in the comments.