Today in Memphis, we've got a ton of required reading before tonight's Grizzlies game, two shout outs from national magazines, a new splash park and a solved mystery. Also, you can get Muddy's cupakes downtown today.
Today's photo was snapped at Fresh Market by Instagrammer @psslaton. She'd like you to know that neither the dog or car belong to her. If you'd like to see your photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis.
- Help me – I can't stop reading all of the incredible national media attention the Grizzlies are getting. If you're in a similar predicament, here are a few pieces of required reading to get you ready for tonight's game: a Memphian provides the best definition of Grit'n'Grind that I've read so far; Grantland profiles Mike Conley's stealth greatness, Tony Allen is our spirit animal (and Z-Bo's celebration hands are the best); and an out-of-town skeptic returns to the Grindhouse and finds it more to his liking. Lastly, here's a picture of the team crammed into an elevator.
- Attention downtowners – you can get cupcakes from Muddy's Bake Shop without having to leave downtown today. Muddy's is pairing with End of All Music (a record store in Oxford, Miss.) for a pop-up shop at Hoot+Louise in South Main from noon until 7 p.m.
- Just in time for Memphis in May Barbecue Fest, two Memphis restaurants have made National Geographic's list of the 10 best barbecue joints.
- More high praise: Travel and Leisure has named Memphis as one of the top U.S. cities for affordable vacations.
- Channel 3 has solved the mystery of the missing riverfront cobblestones. (Note that as far as I know, the Anderson Cooper quoted in the story is not the news anchor.)
- The brand new splash park at the Children's Museum is scheduled to open on Monday, May 27th.
Know of something going on in Memphis? If you've got a tip for ILM, send me an email. If you'd like to submit a story, photo gallery, video or something else for the blog, do that here. If you've got an event coming up, please add it to the calendar, and if you're not already, follow ILM on Facebook and/or Twitter and/or Instagram and/or Pinterest.