Monday News Update: Hang Onto Your Snow Globes Edition
Get your shortened work week started with news about the our awesome sports weekend, museum renovations, and an opportunity for local artists. Also, there's some good news for those of you traveling with Elvis snow globes.
The Grizz are unstoppable right now, which make's @glassesmalone's photo of the giant Grizz outside of FedExForum entirely appropriate. If you'd like to see your photos featured here, tag them #ilovememphis on Instagram – I pick new ones several times a week.
– Last weekend was a huge one for Memphis sports. The Grizz have won eight games in a row, the Tigers beat Stamford (albeit imperfectly) and the Tiger Football team levied their first legitimate butt-kicking in forever with a 46-9 win over UAB.
– Stock up on Samurai films while you still can – Dach Imports is closing after 33 years in business.
– Starting today, the National Civil Rights Museum is allowing visitors onto the balcony where Martin Luther King, Jr. was assassinated. The museum is undergoing a massive renovation starting this month.
– The TSA screeners at Memphis International will no longer confiscate your Elvis snow globes.
– Attention, local artists / designers – K'PreSha is looking for vendors to set up in their shop on Small Business Saturday.
– Congratulations to Joy Buolamwini – the 2008 Cordova High graduate is one of this year's Rhodes Schollars.
– Lastly, another reason why you shouldn't write a check: you could be preventing someone's shot at love.
If you've got a tip or something you'd like to see featured on I Love Memphis, let me know. If you'd like to submit a story or photo series or anything of that sort, go here. If there's an event you want to share, please submit it to the blog's calendar.