Wednesday News Update: River Arts Fest Tips, Teacher of the Year, Vegan Pork Rinds and More
Today in Memphis, a local wins state Teacher of the Year honors, the Chisca gets a temporary facelift, and there's a legitimate way to get into River Arts Fest for free. Also, vegan pork rinds are a thing that exists.
The Stax Museum at magic hour, taken last night by yours truly. If you'd like to see your photos here, post them to Instagram and tag them #ilovememphis.
– First, congratulations to Richland Elementary's Allyson Chick. She was named Tennessee Teacher of the Year, the first Memphian to earn the honor in 29 years.
– Paul has a tip on how to get into this weekend's River Arts Fest for free (and I don't feel bad re-posting it because the festival originally pointed it out on Facebook).
– Being a vegan no longer means missing out on the joy and wonder of pork rinds.
– We might not agree on everything, but I think we can agree that until construction begins to restore the long-empty hotel Chicsa, it's kind of an eyesore. In the meantime, though, the fencing around the building is getting a facelift from elementary school students.
– Finally, it's not often that I find a Craigslist Missed Connection that's cute, sweet and makes me really hope that the people involved find each other. This ad, from a girl to a cute grocer, is one of those ads. Does anyone else want to turn the whole internet into a machine to help these people find each other?