Reason #38 to Love Memphis: Memphis Makes You Stronger

Posted by Holly Whitfield | July 8th 2010 622 1

Last night was a perfect Memphis evening. I met a friend and went to Willow Park to watch the Hi-Tone team get crushed in one of the most enthusiastically doomed kickball games ever. I ate a Legit Supreme at Jerry’s, crashed an apartment complex pool with all my clothes on, and sat on my porch, drying out and talking, until late late.

While I was at Jerry’s, we got into a conversation about why Memphis is a great place. There was a small consensus: Memphis is great because nothing here comes easily.

Maze, Cancer Survivors Park, Memphis, Tenn.

In this town, nothing is handed to you. Staying positive in Memphis requires overcoming a checkered history, chronically low civic self esteem, and the fact that other people constantly suggesting the easy way out.

I’ve thought about the easy ways out quite a bit. There seems to be a lot of conversation about them lately. Conversations that start with “have you ever thought about moving to (insert “cooler” city)”. Conversations about where I see myself in five years, doing the work that I do in a town like this. Questions about why I chose to come back here, buy a house and make a life.

Choosing Memphis isn’t always easy. I’ve joked about feeling like I’m married to the city, like I have to stay with it and make it work, no matter what.

Living in Memphis can make you more open minded and  willing to try something new.

Living in Memphis makes you strong.

(Thanks to Zach, who submitted this reason to love Memphis back when the blog was in its infancy.)

Comments

1. memphoman says:

Great entry. You do have to work at it…but that’s like a lot of long-term relationships…right? 🙂

2. Jamie says:

I cosign on this entry.

3. Misti Rae Warren says:

love: “But here’s the thing about Memphis: there’s loads of opportunity. In other cities, if you want to start something – a business, an event, a flashmob – chances are, someone’s already doing it. Here, there’s plenty of room to experiment, to try, and to learn.

Memphis is a city full of secrets. Some of the most amazing places and things here are hidden. You have to work to find them, but once you discover that amazing hidden patio or unguarded pool or bar in a warehouse neighborhood, there’s a thrilling sense of victory and discovery.”

thanks, i love memphis.

4. Brandon Dahlberg says:

Great thoughts, I completely agree.

5. amy gregory says:

Great entry! It’s always easy to distract oneself by focusing on the bad rather than exerting energy to find the good. I’ll definitely remember this next time someone aka me why I love Memphis

6. Heather says:

I was just saying something this morning about how much I love Memphis, no matter how difficult it seems to others to live here. I have the most diverse and eclectic group of friends I’ve ever encountered in my life and couldn’t imagine living anywhere else.

7. Emily says:

So true!!I love this post!

8. Courtney says:

Where is the labyrinth in this picture?

9. Autumn says:

I truly fell in Love with Memphis while visiting this June. My husband and I did not want to leave. We wanted to get a house and move from San Francisco.
    I am glad to hear that people that do live in Memphis, truly love it!

10. Cody says:

I’ve been living in Memphis for just nine months and this article puts into words my entire experience here. Thank you.

11. Emily says:

Great post! P.S. I love that it is hot in the summertime. It’s part of that good old Memphis charm. It wouldn’t be Memphis if we were sweating our butts off in the summer.

12. […] week, I mentioned that one of the reasons I love living in Memphis is that we have to work to find cool places and things. I think I also said something about how putting forth an effort makes said cool things so much […]

13. Dawn says:

Thank you for this!

14. Memphis Rocks says:

So funny (and great) to hear you say you want to move from SF to Memphis. My step-son, his wife and baby are leaving Memphis tomorrow to move to SF! Too bad I didn’t see this comment sooner – ya’ll could have house-swapped. I love to travel but I’ll always come home to Memphis.

15. TennesseeLuverz says:

My husband and I moved from Florida to Memphis a little over a year ago and we love it, don’t regret it one bit! We have been visiting Memphis since 2005, multiple visits each year, with our visits getting longer and longer. So happy we finally made it here!

16. Sharon says:

This is a well-written post that brings out the real feeling of our amazing city. Go Memphis!