The 901 Poetry Slam Series
Performer's Ticket: $9.01
General Admission Ticket: $9.01
The Hi Tone Cafe
282-284 N. Cleveland Street
Memphis, TN 38104
The 901 Poetry Slam Series is a poetry slam series set in beautiful Memphis, TN @ The Hi-Tone
About this event
The purpose of 901 PSS is to showcase Memphis’ poetry slam and spoken word community in a friendly, passionate and competitive fashion.
Join us for the 901 Poetry Slam Series hosted by award-winning writer, author, spoken-word artist and actor Steve Fox.
Sign up to perform one poem (3 minutes & 10 seconds or less) by signing up via Eventbrite. We will offer 8 guaranteed tournament-style performance slots and 4 waitlist slots on a first-come, first-served basis.
WHAT COMPETITORS WILL WIN!
- WEEKLY CHAMION: $50
- THE GRAND CHAMPION (Week 6): $350
Performance tips and guidelines:
- Don’t be scurrrrr’d! Come as prepared as you like: rehearsed and ready or read off paper or your phone. Just know that the more prepared you are, the better your chances of winning.
- In the spirit of poetry slams, although you are in a competition, YOU ARE NOT COMPETING AGAINST OTHER POETS. We encouraged all performers to focus on three things when taking the stage: content, stage presence and delivery!
- No props at all.
- Our live poetry slams are $9.01 for all participants and audience members with 9.01% of the door take being donated to a select Memphis nonprofit organization.
- Each performance slot lasts 3 minutes & 10 seconds or less. During that time, you can perform one piece.
- Be advised: If you advance to the next round, we encourage you to have a difference poetry piece ready. Feel free to use the same though. Compete at your own risk!
- We value free speech, but please note that hateful content will not be tolerated; our staff will remove artists or spectators who perform, type or show hateful content.
- If you've signed up to perform, the host will call your name in order during the open mic. When you hear your name, please approach the stage and feel confident at the microphone
- Please note that we always prioritize performances by artists who have signed up beforehand and place them accordingly 1-8, but if slots open up because registered artists don't show, we'll allow last-minute signups to fill in the no-show spots.
Please note that we ARE recording these events, so if you do not want to be recorded, please let the audience know before you perform.