5 Things To Do This Weekend: 1/8 – 1/10
We are a week in to 2021, and I ask this with hesitation…how’s everyone doing? Feeling some optimism? I hope so! Here are the five thing you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend!
But first, be sure you didn’t miss anything on the blog lately—
- Tuesday News Update: Ain’t It Good?!
- 2021 Preview: What Does Memphis Have To Look Forward To? A Lot!
- Good Things That Happened In 2020: A Look Back
- UPDATED! 10 Cheap Ways To Get Moving (Work Out) In Memphis
- Ways to celebrate Elvis’s birthday
- Volunteer Ideas: 10 Ways To Give Back In January
1. Pick one way to give back this month.
People aren’t only in need during the holidays. Make a donation or sign up for a virtual or socially-distanced volunteer opportunity—you can peruse the Volunteering and Giving Guide—and we’ll also have the January volunteer ideas published this week.
2. Get moving with a virtual workout class.
Here are a few gyms, studios, and trainers offering regular virtual/online classes:
– Envision Fitness
– Any Body Yoga
– Delta Groove Yoga
– Core Collective
– David Quarles’ Zumba Zoom classes
– Zen Studio Fitness
– Fit4Mom Memphis
3. Celebrate Elvis’ Birthday, Friday Jan. 8/all weekend, free, all ages
Graceland will host a few limited capacity, socially-distant events this year (details here) and the annual Birthday Proclamation Ceremony will be streamed online on Friday at 9 a.m. A few other ideas for honoring the King on his b-day: listening to some Elvis music (this Sirius station is broadcast from Memphis), make yourself a peanut butter and banana sandwich (or pick one up from The Arcade), or grab a Memphis Cream cupcake from Frost Bake Shop.
4. Walk Along The Wolf & Kayak Back, Wolf River at Walnut Grove Point, Sunday, 9 a.m. – 1 p.m., $60 – $85, all ages/kid-friendly
Blues City Kayaks hosts a special guided walk and paddle day on Sunday morning. The walk is about 4 miles along the “first urban section” of the Wolf River and then kayak back. Check out the details.
5. Pick Somewhere New To Order Takeout From
I dare you! Throw off the shackles of yesteryear’s every-week-I-order-the-same-thing routine and let the brighter sun of 2021 lead to new tastes and sensations! We RIDE AT DAWN, we FEAST AT SUNDOWN! Here’s list of places offering takeout / curbside and here’s a list of new restaurants that opened in 2020—have you tried them all?
Got virtual, outdoor, or socially-distant events coming up? Submit them to the blog’s calendar here.