News Update: National Sandwich Day, Mulch Fires, Election Day
Today is Election Day, of course, and everyone I know is either freaking out or desperately trying to distract themselves. I understand both approaches. Here’s some quick voting info, if you haven’t voted yet. Then we’ve got more news to talk about.
My Message For You
This year has challenged all of us, so let me say this: be kind to yourself. Take a moment to breathe, be kind to others, stay safe, wear masks, check on your people, don’t read the comments section (just. don’t. do. it), stop scrolling, get outside, pet a cat, pet a dog, make a plan to volunteer/give back to our community in November, or make a plan for eating some great food downtown this week.
I promise there is still good and calm in the world.
Believe it or not, there are some other non-election things to talk about! Let’s do that:
Is the New Pope Committee Still Debating, Or Did Some Memphis Mulch Just Spontaneously Combust?
In very 2020 fashion, a pile of mulch in Frayser decided it had had enough and burst into flames. This is not the first time this has happened. Anyways, the Memphis Fire Dept. is on the scene and seems to have it under control. Carry on.
Large amounts of black smoke filling the skies across Memphis https://t.co/NcoCT1mDkY
— FOX13 Memphis (@FOX13Memphis) November 3, 2020
Where Should You Eat For Downtown Dining Week?
It’s a tough decision each of us will face this November: where to eat for DDW. Luckily, I Love Memphis has a big list of the deals and specials the downtown restaurants are offering through November 7. Check out the list here.
It’s National Sandwich Day
Where’s the #1 best sandwich in Memphis? We could start an all-out brawl with this question.
Instead, let’s peruse a few quick options:
- For something new: the Ronzo with pastrami, slaw, and dressing from Hazel’s Lucky Deli.
- Something else new: the Shuco from Rumba Room, an impressive Guatemalan street sandwich topped with all the things.
- All the various Cuban sandwiches made well around town, including Sabor Caribe.
- Tamboli’s tasty sandwiches come on irresistible bread, filled with your choice of meat, chicken parm, or veggies.
- Fino’s From The Hill is Memphis for “sandwiches”. They’re open for lunch on weekdays and from 11-7 on Fridays and Saturdays.
- Grilled cheese sandwiches: where is the line between a sandwich with cheese and a proper grilled cheese? I don’t care! Here’s a list of delicious grilled cheeses in town.
- Ms. B’s Sub Shop has a cult following (really) and you can’t go wrong with anything on the menu.
- Oh! Another new one: this croissant breakfast sandwich from the Memphis Chess Club.
- Short rib grilled cheese sandwich? This seriously decadent dish from Felicia Suzanne’s is a part of their Downtown Dining Week takeout-only specials.
- Obligatory Chinese Sub Shop inclusion! I was shocked recently to talk to several locals who hadn’t heard of this one…so give it a try! For something completely different, I find this Pho Binh-Sub shop matchup to be a delight.
- This chicken sandwich from Momma’s has been haunting me.
- Don’t forget the Turk from Kwik Chek, another Memphis classic.
- Elwoods Shack. Just the whole menu, basically, is sandwich or sandwich-adjacent.
The Holidays Are Here, Please Let Me Take A Nap
Some of us have our trees up, our headphones blasting Mariah Carey’s endless yelling into our eardrums 24 hours a day, are already done shopping, baking pies nonstop. The rest of us are just…so…tired. I’ll count myself in that latter group, because I’m working hard to get alllll the annual I Love Memphis Holiday Guides up and running.
It’s hard to get all the info from restaurants when they haven’t actually made their plans yet. But shopping guides, what’s open guides, holiday events, and more are coming very soon! Here are a few sneak peeks:
– Starry Nights will do all-new lights displays this year for the event, which runs select night Nov. 27 – Jan. 3.
– Holiday Wonders at the Botanic Garden will be open on select nights Nov. 27 – Dec. 27 and tickets are already on sale.
– South Main has put up lights! It’s fun! It’ll be up through the holidays.
What’s Up With This Skyscraper?
What are we thinking about this proposed design for new high rise next to the Pyramid that was announced a few weeks ago? Gives a new meaning to “tall and skinny”.
‘A jewel on the river’ Memphis developer, Memphis-born architect plan new Pinch District skyscraper https://t.co/nnP8dOHX3L
— Commercial Appeal (@memphisnews) October 16, 2020
There’s also this Memphis Bourbon Caramel Cake, a heavenly partnership between Old Dominick Distillery and Sugar Avenue Bakery. I ate this cake for breakfast and I have no regrets. If you’re looking to splurge on a dessert for the holidays ($55) you can order yours here.