5 Things To Do This Weekend: 8/28 – 8/30
Here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend, plus a preview for 901 Day—which is Tuesday!
But first, be sure you didn’t miss anything new:
– 150+ Memphis Restaurants For Takeout and Dine-In (Updated!)
– What’s Happening For 901 Day 2020 — Events, Trivia, Deals & Discounts!
– Wahburgers Wild Is Coming To The Pyramid
– 7 Ways To Give Back To Memphis This Month
– Where To Get a Cuban Sandwich In Memphis
A few more things…
Check out this in-depth history of the Memphis Pyramid published in Forbes this week.
OK, here’s your weekend guide:
1. Ixora Sessions with Jordan Occasionally, Online, Friday 8 p.m. – 9 p.m., donations suggested
Local gift shop Ixora hosts Memphis Neo-soul R&B artist Jordan Occasionally for a livestream music performance on Friday night. Donations accepted for the artist and Ixora’s rent relief fund.
2. Independent Bookstore Day 2020, Novel Memphis, Saturday, all day
Down with Bezos! Support our local bookstores this weekend for Indie Bookstore Day. Novel Memphis is hosting several virtual events and exclusive merchandise this Saturday. Check out all the details.
3. Hold On We’re Coming Virtual Concert Series, Online, Saturday, 8 p.m., $10 minimum donation
Music Export Memphis continues their virtual concert series, this time featuring Unapologetic live from Dirty Socks Studio. Ticket are $10, but additional donations are accepted as proceeds benefit the COVID-19 Relief Fund for Musicians.
Note: This was originally on Friday but has moved to Saturday.
4. The 8 Ball and MJG Experience, Online, Sunday 8 p.m., $10 – $100, 18+
Memphis legends 8 Ball and MJB perform live from Minglewood Hall on Sunday night. Tickets are $10 for the livestream only, $50 for a limited edition shirt, or you can spring or a VIP digital meet-and-greet.
5. Guided Nature Walks, Lichterman Nature Center, Saturday, 9:15 a.m., $10 adult/$8 youth, all ages/kid-friendly
Walk through the forest and around the lake with a Lichterman Nature Center Naturalist on Sunday and Wednesday mornings now through August 29th (this is the last weekend). You might even meet one of the Animal Ambassadors that lives at the Center! Pre-registration is required, attendance is limited to 10 people, and participants must pass an on-site health screening
Plus a few more ideas…
Friday Night Live Virtual Yoga Class, Online, Friday, 6:30 p.m. – 7:30 p.m., free, all ages
Your Inner Yogi and Downtown Memphis hosts a virtual yoga class every Friday, accessible on Instagram Live.
Memphis Made presents Blvck Hippie Live at Growlers (Livestream), Online, Saturday, 8 p.m. – 9 p.m., donations accepted
Tune in on Twitch or Youtube this Saturday night as Memphis indie rock band Blvck Hippie performs live at Growlers, presented by Memphis Made Brewing (pick up some beer to-go before the show!)
Support Local Restaurants
I’m going to be honest with y’all. Local restaurants are in trouble. I know the chain drive-thru is tempting, but if you can, instead please support your neighborhood restaurants this weekend. You can order some takeout, or eat on a patio if you feel comfortable—here’s the big list of what are patios open, here’s a list of eight new Memphis patios to check out, and here’s a list of 150+ local restaurants to choose from.
901 Day Preview
Virtual Exposure for 901 Day, Online, September 1, 4 p.m. – 7 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
Exposure is a huge Memphis-centric celebration with more than 75 local organizations is going online this year! This is the kind of thing where you leave saying “I never knew we had that in Memphis!” or “I wish I’d heard about that sooner!” Check out the schedule and learn more about using the HopIn platform.
Memphis 901 Day Trivia, Malco Summer Drive-In, September 1, 7 p.m. – 8 p.m., included in your drive-in ticket, all ages
Cerrito Entertainment and Secret Memphis (that’s me, Holly) are teaming up for a special Memphis-themed trivia on Tuesday, September 1, 901 Day. Arrive an hour early for that night’s movies and answer Memphis-themed questions for a chance to win a copies of my new book, Secret Memphis. I’ll also be signing books.
Full Moon Kayaking, Mud Island River Park, September 2, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., all ages
From Memphis River Parks Partnerships: “Free kayak rentals in the Memphis Harbor to paddle under the full moon! With DJ Zetta on a floating stage, it’s a socially-distant jam out you’ve been waiting for.” ⠀
901 DAY 2020 DEALS & DISCOUNTS
Local businesses are sharing the love—so let’s get out and support them on September 1, or anytime.
- Brookhaven Pub’s Tiger Bleu Chips will be $9.01 — takeout only.
- Blues City Donuts will offer a dozen glazed donuts for $9.01.
- Staks Pancake’s Memphis BBQ Omelette and a side for $9.01.
- Lucy J’s Bakery 2nd anniversary sale: pre-order a surprise box of mini treats for $25.
- South of Beale will offer their duck fried rice for $9.01.
- Stick ‘Em is offering new jerk chicken or tofu kabobs with a side for $9.01.
- Catherine & Mary’s and Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen will have pasta specials.
- The Gray Canary will have oyster specials.
- Swanky’s Taco shop locations will offer Memphis BBQ tacos, nachos or quesadilla for $9.01.