The Malco Summer Drive-In Reopens: What You Need To Know
Update: As of June 15, Malco re-opened DeSoto Cinema and Olive Branch Cinema Grill indoor theaters in advance with certain safety protocols. They’re also live-streaming a Garth Brooks concert on June 27 at the Drive-In.
There are only 321 drive-in movie theaters left in the U.S., and Summer Avenue in Memphis, Tennessee has one of them! This theater is one of my favorite old-school things to do in Memphis.
While all movie theaters in the area have been closed for weeks, Malco reopened the drive-in on May 15, 2020. It’s the only theater that will reopen; all inside theaters will remain closed for the time being. You can see today’s schedule on the Malco website and keep scrolling for next week’s movie lineup.
There are some changes that go with the reopening of the drive-in, and you’ll need to read the instructions carefully unless you want a carful of Trolls-hungry children to be very disappointed.
- The most important new rule is: You must buy tickets online ahead of time. You buy them at malco.com or on the Malco app.
- Instead of paying per person, you pay per carload: a flat $20 rate. You can’t drive in unless you have your pre-purchased tickets to save your spot. No “at the gate” purchasing. No single tickets.
- There are no refunds or exchanges for any reason, including weather. Be sure you’re clicking on the right days and movies when you’re buying.
- You can print your ticket or show it on your phone when you arrive.
- The restrooms and concessions will be open, but employees and signage will direct you to follow social distancing guidelines and new procedures.
- Malco encourages wearing masks when buying snacks and using the restrooms washing hands, staying six foot away from other people.
- Read allllll the details here.
Week of June 15-18
Screen 1: The High Note / Fast and the Furious
Screen 2: Sonic the Hedgehog / Trolls World Tour
Screen 3: Jurassic Park (1993) / Jaws (1975)
Screen 4: The Wretched / The Invisible Man
As of right now, the Time Warp Drive-In Series is still paused.