The Malco Summer Drive-In Reopens: What You Need To Know
There are only 321 drive-in movie theaters left in the U.S., and Summer Avenue in Memphis, Tennessee has one of them! This theater is one of my favorite old-school things to do in Memphis.
While all movie theaters in the area have been closed for weeks, Malco reopened the drive-in on May 15, 2020. It’s the only theater that will reopen; all inside theaters will remain closed for the time being.
There are some changes that go with the reopening of the drive-in, and you’ll need to read the instructions carefully unless you want a carful of Trolls-hungry children to be very disappointed.
- The most important new rule is: You must buy tickets online ahead of time. You buy them at malco.com or on the Malco app.
- Instead of paying per person, you pay per carload: a flat $20 rate. You can’t drive in unless you have your pre-purchased tickets to save your spot. No “at the gate” purchasing. No single tickets.
- There are no refunds or exchanges for any reason, including weather. Be sure you’re clicking on the right days and movies when you’re buying.
- You can print your ticket or show it on your phone when you arrive.
- The restrooms and concessions will be open, but employees and signage will direct you to follow social distancing guidelines and new procedures.
- Malco encourages wearing masks when buying snacks and using the restrooms washing hands, staying six foot away from other people.
- Read allllll the details here.
Here’s the movie schedule for May 22 – 28, 2020:
Screen 1: Trolls World Tour / Minions
Screen 2: Fast & Furious / 2 Fast 2 Furious
Screen 3: Jaws / Jurassic Park
Screen 4: Invisible Man / The Hunt
As of right now, the Time Warp Drive-In Series is still paused.