Cooper Young Festival Spooky Edition: Festival Announces New 2020 Date
The 33rd annual Cooper Young Festival will be held on Halloween for 2020. Normally the one-day event is held in mid-September, but due to the COVID-19 pandemic, this year’s festival is postponed.
The Evolve Bank & Trust Cooper Young Festival will be on Saturday, October 31, 2020 from 9 a.m. to 7 p.m. in the Cooper Young neighborhood. Fun fact: The first CY Fest in 1988 was actually on Halloween. Throwback!
Festival organizers said “we are looking forward to everyone dressing up in their masks and costumes to celebrate in big ghoul style!” which says to me that costumes—including masks—will be allowed. What do y’all think about that?
Cooper Young Festival 2020 Fast Facts:
- The event was postponed from September 19 to October 31 in 2020 due to “covid-19 uncertainties”.
- Information on any coronavirus precautions and procedures for the festival are TBA.
- The event is free and family-friendly.
- Parking and other attendance info will be available closer to the date of the festival.
- Vendor applications will go online on Saturday, August 1 at midnight and booths are for sale on a first-come, first-serve basis. Visit cooperyoungfestival.com for more information.
- Cooper Young Festival is Memphis’ largest single day event, attracting tens of thousands of people and several hundred vendors of arts, crafts, gifts, food, drinks, and entertainment.
There will be a kickoff party on Thursday, October at Epicenter Memphis to celebrate this year’s poster art and poster artist John McIntire. I’m looking into the Cooper Young 4-Miler race, which hasn’t yet announced if they will be rescheduling this year.
Memphis in May’s World Championship Barbecue Cooking Contest is rescheduled for September 30 – October 3, 2020; Beale Street Music Festival is rescheduled for October 16-18, and the Great American River Run is rescheduled to October 24. Now, Cooper Young Fest (unaffiliated with Memphis in May) is the following weekend.
With Memphis In May’s three main events moving to the fall and now Cooper Young fest capping off October…is October the new May in Memphis?!
There are also Tigers football home games on October 16th and 24th. Now, keep in mind that all of this could change (and potentially should change) depending on how the pandemic goes** and concerns for safety and health. This is just what we are going with right now.
I’ll keep you updated as more Cooper Young Festival 2020 information for Memphis becomes available.
*What? A phrase I never thought I’d write…