5 Things To Do This Weekend: 5/8 – 5/10
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms, mothers, madres, and mother figures out there! We appreciate you. Here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend.
But first, be sure you didn’t miss anything new and updated on the blog this week:
- Mother’s Day Brunch Guide (Takeout and List of Open Dining Rooms)
- It’s National Travel & Tourism Week…So What Is That?
- Memphian To Meet: DJ, Journalist, and Memphis Music Lover Jared Boyd
- What Should You Eat?! Memphis Takeout and Curbside Guide
OK, here’s your weekend guide:
1. Order Mother’s Day To-Go, Local Restaurants, All Weekend, Prices Vary, All Ages
Local restaurants are doing it up for Mother’s Day with takeout brunch, bake-ahead brunch, curbside pickup, and delivery. Some of the meals required pre-order, but others are still available or are order-as-you-go. Check out the list of restaurants on the Mother’s Day Guide, which also notes restaurants that have reopened at 50 percent capacity.
2. Cooper Young Virtual Garden Walk, Online, Through May, Free (Donations Accepted) All Ages/Kid-Friendly
You might not be able to stroll through Cooper Young’s residential gardens in person this year, but you can peruse the photos and experience 31 “eclectic, inspiring, inventive” local gardens.
3. Garden Family Day, Online, Saturday, 10 a.m., Free, all ages/kid-friendly
The Dixon will host a Garden Family Day on Facebook, Instagram, and at Dixon.org. Watch instructional videos from staff, kid-friendly activities, live demos, and pre-recorded performances from local musicians. Tune in to the live stream portion at 11 a.m., and check out the other Family Day fun at dixon.org starting at 10 a.m.
4. Memphis Songwriters Series: Virtual Voices feat. The PRVLG, Facebook, Saturday, 7:30 p.m., free (but tips for the musicians are much appreciated), all ages
From the Halloran Centre: “The Memphis Songwriter Series will return to the Halloran Centre in the fall. In the meantime, join the Orpheum online each Saturday at 7:30pm for Virtual Voices, the digital version of this immersive series. Watch May 9 as The PRVLG share their songs and stories on the Orpheum’s Facebook page.”
5. Louise Page Live From Ixora Rent Relief Benefit, Facebook, Saturday, 8 p.m., free (donations accepted), all ages
Ixora is a Crosstown neighborhood shop (next to the Hi Tone) the offers locally-produced gifts, arts, and more. To help them may their rent during this pandemic, musician Louise Page will do a live stream concert. Enjoy the music and drop a few bucks in the rent relief bucket.
A few more ideas…
Friday at 7:30 p.m.: Levitt Shell’s Orion Virtual Concert Series feat. Charlie Wood’s September ’19 concert.
Friday and Saturday at 8:30 p.m.: Wild Bill’s Stay Safe At Home Live Stream
Friday at 7 p.m.: Virtual Zebra Lounge Hosted by Louise Page
Friday at 7:30 p.m.: Culturalyst Music Performance by Rheannan
Saturday at 4 p.m.: Quarantunes with Juno Avent Live From Saddle Creek
Saturday at 7 p.m.: Virtual Whiskey Tasting with Celtic Crossing
Starts May 10: Brooks Still Life Challenge Online
Sunday at noon: Mother’s Day Live Virtual Paint Party From Pinot’s Palette ($15)