5 Things To Do This Weekend: 5/22 – 5/24
Memorial Day Weekend is here! We made it. I know it’s a holiday, but I’ll be the broken record that says: please be safe.
I also know we’re all itching to go buck wild, but I personally urge you to use all that we’ve learned the last few months. Stay 6 feet away from others, wear masks, wash your hands, don’t share items, and stay home if you can.
Here are five ways to enjoy Memphis while staying safe this weekend, plus a few extras.
But first, be sure you didn’t miss anything on the blog this week:
- 2020 Memphis Farmer’s Market Guide—new opening dates!
- Big Changes Coming To Tom Lee Park
- News Update: Cocktails To-Go, Pyramid Patio, and Restaurant Closings
- Spring Festival Season Is Rescheduled
OK, here’s your weekend guide:
1. Orion Virtual Concert Series, Levitt Shell’s Facebook, Friday, 7:30 p.m., donations strongly encouraged, all ages
The Levitt Shell continues to host virtual concerts via Facebook Live for your safe-at-home enjoyment! This week, it’s the virtual version of Madisen Ward & The Mama Bear’s October 2019 show. This mother and son folk duo will guide you into the weekend. Be sure that you throw a few bucks into the Shell’s Virtual Tip Bucket, though. They need it so they can continue to provide our city with free live music in the future!
2. Virtual Bingo Night, Zoom, Friday, 8 p.m., free to play, all ages
Cerrito Trivia hosts an online Bingo night with prizes from Memphis Made Brewing. You can print a bingo card or make your own! A Zoom link will be posted in the Facebook event ahead of time.
3. Elmwood Cemetery Tours, Elmwood Cemetery, Saturday, 11 a.m. / 1 p.m. / 2:30 p.m., $20 per person, 13+
Advanced registration is 100 percent required for this 100 percent outdoors tour guided by Elmwood Cemetery docents on Saturday. There are three tours, each focused on veterans and armed forces history in honor of the Memorial Day Weekend. At 11 a.m., there’s “Belles of the Battlefield”, at 1 p.m. there’s “Our Armed Forces: A Memorial Tour”, and at 2:30 p.m., there’s “The Blue & The Gray: A Civil War History Tour”, which looks almost full. Get your tickets ASAP and please follow the cemetery’s social distancing guidelines while on the tour.
4. Virtual Yoga Series, Zoom via Facebook, Saturday, 2 p.m., free, all ages
The Memphis Public Library hosts virtual yoga classes via Zoom link on Wednesdays at 6 p.m. and Saturdays at 2 p.m. It’s free to tune in and stretch and strengthen yourself from the safety of home! The Zoom link is posted in the Facebook event ahead of time.
5. Memphis Songwriters Series: Virtual Voices w/ Kelley Mickwee, Facebook Live, Saturday, 7:30 p.m., free (musician tips appreciated), all ages
The Orpheum hosts the sixth installment of “Virtual Voices”, an online concert featuring Memphis Songwriters. This week it’s Kelley Mickwee and her partner Ben Jones. You can check out the other shows on the Orpheum’s website.
A Few More Ideas:
- Virtual Zebra Lounge w/ Louise Page on Friday at 7 p.m.
- Against The Grain – anytime! More than 100 Memphis artists share virtual concerts and video for a few bucks – support musicians!
- Cooper Young virtual Garden Walk – explore dozens of private gardens and hear from the gardeners themselves on the CYGW website through the end of May
- If you choose to get out, the Big Cypress Lodge at the Pyramid opens their Mississippi Terrace this weekend
- Ixora Live Streaming w/ Rosey on Sunday at 7 p.m.
- Malco Summer Drive-In Is Open Daily – read the rules + movies here
- Several Memphis attractions are open – read the updates here
- Most restaurants are still offering takeout and curbside pickup, so look up your favorites and support local!