5 Things To Do This Weekend: 5/1 – 5/3
We made it to May! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss, safer-at-home style.
But first, be sure you didn’t miss anything on the blog lately:
- Don’t Touch Isaac’s Ride!
- Memphian To Meet: DJ Memphi$ Jone$
- Cinco de Mayo, Takeout Edition
- Mother’s Day Takeout Guide
- Virtual DJ Dance Parties (continues Friday! and Sunday!)
- Virtual Events Guide (please submit yours here)
- Memphis Spring Festivals Reschedule Guide (new dates for postponed events)
- The Absolutely Savage Memphis Food Challenge
- Get Your Memphis Beer To-Go…or Delivered!
Wash hands. Wear masks. Stop shopping every day. Stop crowding up everywhere.
For latest on the pandemic response and the Phase 1 Back To Business that begins on May 4, I’ll direct you to the City of Memphis website.
OK here’s your guide:
1. Levitt Shell @ Home featuring Delhi 2 Dublin, Fridays, 7:30 p.m., donations needed, all ages
The Shell @ Home series brings you past recorded shots via streaming video on Friday night at 7:30 p.m. Don’t forget that the Shell really needs our donations so they can stay keep going through and after this dang pandemic. Drop a donation in the virtual bucket here and tune in to the concert video on Facebook.
2. DJ Series Featuring DJ Memphi$ Jone$ and DJ Bizzlie Bluebland, Social Media, Friday at 8:30 p.m. and Sunday at noon, free, all ages
For the final two sessions of the Memphis Music Hub dance parties, DJ Memphi$ Jone$ and DJ bring us Friday night 80s soul and Sunday brunch jams, respectively. To tune in, follow me on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter. Read my Q&A with DJ Alpha Whiskey here. Get details about upcoming dance parties here.
3. Virtual Whiskey Tasting w/ Celtic Crossing, At Home/On The Internet, Saturday, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m., $35, 21 and up
Celtic Crossing owner DJ has been hosting virtual whiskey tastings for several weeks now. Just order your tasting ticket online (and a meal, too!) and pick up curbside. Then, long on to Zoom on Saturday night at 7 p.m. for a guided tasting via Zoom. Details and instructions here.
4. 2020 Blues Music Awards, Facebook + YouTube, Sunday, 4 p.m. CDT, all ages, free
The Blues Foundation will host the annual Blues Music Awards honoring excellences in blues artists and industry pros from around the world. They’ll host a virtual awards show on Sunday afternoon on Facebook and Youtube. Tune in for some Sunday afternoon blues.
5. Against the Grain, Crosstown Arts Website, Anytime, All Ages, $5 and up
Crosstown Arts has launched a new Memphis music channel called Against the Grain. For a few bucks each, you can enjoy creative videos and music from more than 55 local artists from 13 different genres and counting . This is really one of the coolest things I’ve seen come out of Memphis quarantine creativity. Stop what you’re doing right now and head over to The Website and peruse all the Memphis talent that you can support.
Looking for more ideas? Here are a few:
– The Memphis Flyer has a long list of music live streams for this weekend and next week, which you can see here.
– Louise Page goes live from The Zebra Lounge piano bar on Friday nights, and she takes requests.
– Musician Eric Hughes hosts “Scrappie’s Jukehouse” with a live blues music streaming video every day at 8 p.m.
There are a ton more here.
OK, I’ll see for the DJ Dance Party Series on Friday night and Sunday afternoon.