Everything You Need To Know About The Memphis 901 FC 2020 Season
Ed. Note: USL soccer matches have been suspended for 30 days.
Ed. Note: The Memphis 901 FC soccer team is back for a second season at AutoZone Park! Here’s an updated article from contributor Austin Crowder about the 2020 season, what to expect, ticket info, and a list of home games to look forward to.
(FC stands for “football club” and is standard naming for soccer teams around the world.)
Get excited Memphis sports fandom, because Memphis 901 FC is back for a second year of professional soccer team. Memphis and soccer are a match made in heaven because in soccer, as in Memphis, unabashed raucous fan loyalty shines.
The 2020 Season
The team got a bit of a slow start in their inaugural season, with nine wins, 18 losses, and seven draws, but with a fully stocked roster of experienced players recruited from around the world, coach Tim Mulqueen expects a much improved record this year.
Regardless of the record, the games were exciting, fun, and well-attended. The team has loads of support from Memphians, too.
Any doubters, please see the Memphis 901 FC designated supporters sections, “subject to excessive noise, smoke, flag waving, drum playing, disruption, and extreme fandom!” provided by the official supporters group Bluff City Mafia.
(Ed. Note: They’re the people with the smoke who don’t stop chanting the entire match, and if you join the BCM and choose to sit there, you’ll be subject to drinking and cursing.)
Memphis legend DeAngelo Williams has already claimed 901 FC as his team of choice and Marc Gasol (you’re a forever Memphian and we miss you) has the epic 901 FC gear, so let’s get the rest of Memphis caught up.
I have successfully found my soccer team thanks Memphis u have made me a fan I’m coming to some games can u hook an unemployed tiger up 🧐🤷🏾♂️ https://t.co/QqlGctj0Pk
— DeAngelo Williams (@DeAngeloRB) February 24, 2019
Why Memphis 901 FC Is An Awesome Addition To Memphis
1. Rivalries: One thing that’s fun about the United Soccer League is that with 36 teams and a focus on regional competition, there are plenty of nearby teams to trash-talk. I see us generally dominating our way into a blossoming rivalry with at least a few of them.
2. Memphis 901 FC has swagger. First off, Tim Howard (former US Men’s National Team goalie, debonair part-time Memphian, and, you know, U.S. soccer legend) is a minority owner of the team, the sporting director, and he reps the 901 hard. Second, The 901 FC branding is on point with easily the dopest team crest in the league and some seriously fresh gear.
– 18 additional chances to experience the world-class Autozone Park
– 18 chances to walk to Beale after a match (or Tom Lee Park on the banks of the Mississippi River before one)
– 18 times you could catch a glimpse of the sunset-lit skyline in the background of the park
– 18 chances to choose between getting raucous in the stands or relaxing on a blanket with the fam on the bluff while taking in the beauty and energy of this great city and the people in it
4. Memphis 901 FC shows love to the community. The team is a part of the expanding energy and love surrounding the game of soccer in Memphis, the south, and the nation. This team will give a chance for aspiring youth soccer players and hobbling adult league has beens like myself (s/o to SMSC) to take in the magic of the sport at the professional level.
Hopefully we will see the rise of some more hometown heroes like Tim Howard as locals are inspired and can even take a shot at open tryouts.
Schedule + Games To Look For
The USL season begins on March 7 and continues through October. The full season schedule is here, but here’s a quick rundown of the home games:
Sat. March 7 at 7 p.m. v. Indy Eleven
Sat. March 14 at 7 p.m. v. Saint Louis FC
Sat. March 28 at 7 p.m. v. Birmingham Legion FC
Wed. April 8 at 7 p.m. v. Chattanooga FC (this one is at Mike Rose Soccer Complex)
Wed. April 29 at 7:30 p.m. v. Charleston Battery
Sat. May 2 at 4 p.m. v. Atlanta United 2
Sat. May 30 at 7:30 p.m. v. Charlotte Independence
Wed. June 3 at 7 p.m. v. Tampa Bay Rowdies
Sat. June 6 at 7:30 p.m. v. Philadelphia Union II
Sat. June 20 at 7:30 p.m. v. New York Red Bulls II
Sat. July 11 at 7:30 p.m. v. North Carolina FC
Sat. July 25 at 7:30 p.m. vs. The Miami FC
Wed. Aug 5 at 7:30 p.m. v. Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC
Sat. Aug 8 at 7:30 p.m. v. Harford Athletic
Sat. Aug 22 at 7:30 p.m. v. Loudoun United FC
Sat. Sept 12 at 7 p.m. vs. Saint Louis FC
Sat. Sept. 26 at 7 p.m. vs. Sporting Kansas City II
Sat. Oct 10 at 7 p.m. vs. Louisville City FC
There are also military discounts as well as awesome options for groups.
One feature that is so unique is the variety of seating options available from family picnics on the bluff, to luxury boxes, casual corner seats, and mid-field premium views. There is a great map of the seating options and prices here.
About The Author
Austin was raised in the Los Angeles area but found his home (and his Memphian wife) here in Memphis, Tennessee. He teaches high school government and economics in South Memphis. He contributes to theCommercial Appeal, SB Nation, and I Love Memphis. But everyone in the rec basketball league knows his true passion and calling is to grow a few more inches to become an NBA player for the Memphis Grizzlies. Follow him on Twitter @acrowder73.