5 Things To Do This Weekend: 11/15 – 11/17
Happy Friday, Memphis! It’s another great weekend in the Bluff City, so here are the five things you won’t want to miss, plus a few extras.
But first, be sure you haven’t missed anything on the blog recently:
– Places Open on Thanksgiving In Memphis
– Places Open on Christmas In Memphis
– New Downtown Brewery Announced!
– 30 Memphis Holiday and Christmas Shows
– Get Your Holiday Shopping Done Early At These Local Markets
– Celebrate Playhouse on the Square’s 50th Anniversary
– Eat For Cheap During Downtown Dining Week (ends Sunday the 17th)
1. New Ballet Ensemble’s Nut Remix, Cannon Center, Friday – Sunday, $20-$45, all ages/kid-friendly
Local dance company NBE presents their re-imagined version of the Nutcracker with ballet, hip hop, flamenco, and African dance, accompanied by the Memphis Symphony.
2. Playhouse on the Square 50th Anniversary Weekend, Various Locations, all weekend, prices vary
Celebration a half-century of theater in the Mid-South at a full weekend of events honoring Playhouse. Friday night is an Alumni Party at the Circuit Playhouse, Saturday is a bus tour of the theater’s past locations and an evening Gala at Minglewood, and Sunday is Peter Pan Family Day. Check out all the details here.
3. Spillit Grand Slam, Crosstown Arts Theater, Friday, 7 p.m. – 10 p.m., $15 at the door, all ages/parental discretion advised
The Spillit storytelling competition returns to Crosstown for their final speaking showdown of the year, the Spillit Grand Slam. Winners and runner-ups from each storytelling competition from the past year share six-minute anecdotes to compete for the title of Master Storyteller of Memphis 2019. Tickets are to be purchased at the door and drinks will be for sale at the Crosstown Art Bar.
4. Basketball! Basketball is well underway here in Hoop City. We have games for the home teams each day this weekend. Here’s the schedule:
Friday: Grizz v. Jazz at 7 p.m. at FedExForum (commemorative arm sleeve giveaway; Mike Conley returns for the Jazz)
Saturday: Memphis v. Alcorn State (men’s) at 1 p.m. at FedExForum
Sunday: Memphis v. George Washington (women’s) at 10:30 a.m. at Elma Roane Fieldhouse
Sunday: Grizz v. Nuggets at 5 p.m. at FedExForum
5. The Purgening: Fall Day Party & Sale, Shangri-La Records, Saturday, noon – 5 p.m., free to attend, all ages/kid-friendly
If you haven’t been to a day party + sale at Shangri-La at 1916 Madison, are you even a music lover? Head up to the historic record shop for deals and discounts on vinyl, CDs, and more, plus 20 percent off everything in the store (hello holiday shopping!) Doors open at noon and live music start at 2 p.m.
Plus a few extras…
- Peter Pan at Playhouse on the Square (through Dec. 29th) opens this weekend.
- Memphis Comic & Fantasy Convention is at the Marriott East Friday – Sunday with vendors, panels, games, cosplay, and more.
- Memphis Caffeine Crawl on Saturday offers tours of local coffee shops.
- The Hello Kitty Cafe Truck will be in Memphis at the Wolfchase Galleria from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. on Saturday with collectibles, merchandise, and treats. Credit cards only.
- Elmo & The Shades Fundraiser at the Center for Southern Folklore is on Saturday at 8 p.m. ($75 ticket includes dinner from One & Only BBQ)
- Broad Avenue Arts District hosts a Holiday Open House all day Friday and Saturday.