5 Things To Do This Weekend: 8/2 – 8/4
It’s time for another great weekend in Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss.
But before we get to the list of things to do in Memphis this weekend, it’s been a busy week on the blog. Be sure you didn’t miss anything:
– Celebrate 901 Day 2019 at Exposure – there’s a new date and a new location this year
– I Love Memphis Turns 10 10th Birthday Party! come make it not be awkward when I give a toast
– guide to live music in August
– info on this Saturday’s Chicken & Beer Festival
– info on the upcoming Breakaway Bardog 5K + Monroe Ave. Festival
– Elvis Week 2019 Survival Guide
1. First Fridays On Broad, Broad Avenue, Friday, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
Support the shops and businesses on Broad with this month’s First Fridays on Broad, which has a scavenger hunt theme.
2. Summer Cocktail Festival, Overton Square, Friday, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., $44 , 21 and up
Overton Square, Captain Morgan, and the Memphis Flyer are partnering up for a cocktail party in the Overton Square courtyard with a DJ, dance party, food for sale, and more. Your ticket gets you a dozen cocktail samples, and proceeds benefit Volunteer Memphis.
3. Beach Within Reach Party, Carolina Watershed, Sunday, 2 p.m. – 8 p.m., free to enter, 21 and up
Wiseacre and Tattersall are hosting a beach party at Carolina Watershed downtown this weekend with a bunch of drinks, slip ‘n’ slide, a watermelon eating contest, and a dad bod contest. Wear your bathing costumes.
4. Memphis Chicken & Beer Fest, Liberty Bowl, Saturday, 6-10 p.m., $40 + fees, 21+
Chicken, beer, and live musical entertainment, benefiting Dorothy Day House in Memphis. Admission includes a souvenir tasting glass and more than 90 different beverage samples. Food available for purchase. Read more here.
5. Waves Don’t Die, The CMPLX, Saturday, 9 p.m., $10 day of the event, 18+
From Wesley’s Listen Up column this month: If you aren’t hip to what The Collective is doing in and for Memphis, then you should become aware right now. The CMPLX is the premiere space to experience the works of both rising and established black artists in Memphis, and with Waves Don’t Die you’re getting eight of them for $5 Early Bird tickets or $10 on the day of the event.
plus an extra…
A Deep Water Sound, Location TBA, Sunday, 6 p.m., $20, 21 and up
Local artist Talibah Safiyah concludes her ten-city tour back at home in Memphis for an intimate, one night only concert experience at a top secret location this Sunday evening. Seating is limited to 40 tickets (which means you need to buy yours now) and you find out the venue once you buy.