Happy National Hot Dog Day! Here’s Where to Celebrate
Happy National Hot Dog Day! If you’re looking for dogs in Memphis, here’s a list! Got some to add? Leave ’em in the comments.
– Elwood’s Shack on Summer Avenue has one of the best hot dogs I’ve had in my life. The BBQ Slaw Dog is an all-beef hot dog topped with slightly spicy slaw made of purple cabbage, jalapeños, and blue cheese. Yes. Blue cheese. That’s it pictured above in all its glory.
– Memphis Dawgs started out as a hot dog cart and is now a casual restaurant at 9229 Highway 178 in Olive Branch. They serve Nathan’s dogs with different toppings. For example, the Memphis Dawg comes with slaw and honey BBQ sauce; the New York dog comes with sauerkraut, onions, and celery salt
– Lunchbox Eats has the Principal’s Office Link, which is a hot sausage link topped with fried eggs, lettuce, tomatoes and sauce, wrapped in a grilled cheese sandwich. Just think about that for a second.
– Payne’s BBQ serves a smoked sausage dog, slathered in sauce and their delectable mustard slaw, for just a few bucks. People love it.
– We’ve got more dogs coming our way very soon. Doghouzz, which is a new restaurant at 1349 Autumn Ave near Crosstown Concourse will serve gourmet hot dogs. Read more here and stay tuned for info on their opening date.
– If you want to get into some serious hot dog controversy, check out the Chubby Vegetarian’s charred carrot dog recipe, which was featured in the Washington Post last year and got some...interesting reactions from other outlets and random angry people on Twitter. While I think the recipe sounds delicious—whether you’re looking for a meat substitute or you just like grilled vegetables—it made a lot of people mad, which would be hilarious if they weren’t so dang serious.
As my mom used to say, “if you want it, eat it, if you don’t, don’t.” If you’re lucky enough to be picky about your food, live and let live. Also, do try every recipe Amy and Justin develop, because they’re very talented food professionals who had a great sense of humor about the whole thing.
View this post on Instagram
Where are you celebrating? Know of any other hot dog specials? Add them in the comments.