5 Things To Do This Weekend: 2/8 – 2/10
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend, plus a few extras.
But first, don’t miss this week’s Memphis love: 9 concerts in Memphis in February, Valentine’s date ideas, 10 ways to volunteer this month from Volunteer Odyssey, Flying Sobie’s fried hen for brunch, Jamaican food at Evelyn & Olive.
1. 3 Course Comedy, Midtown Crossing Grill, Friday, 10 p.m., pay-what-you-can, 18+
The Bluff City Liars Improv hosts a new night of “three delicious comedy shows in one”, with standup from Ben Frederick, improv with Lorna Midori and Jacques DuCourvoisier, and an interactive improv jam. Get you some delicious pizza from the kitchen and some buckets of beer.
2. Mariposas Collective Benefit Show, Hi-Tone, Saturday, doors at 7 p.m., $15, call for age req Rock out for a good cause this Saturday as Louise Page, Marcella Simien, Crown Vox, Faux Killas, Magnolia, the PRVLG, and more perform a benefit concert on Saturday night. The Mariposas Collective is a Memphis organization that supports immigrants and asylum seekers passing through the city after detainment. They provide items like food, water, medicine, clothing, and toys for kids. Read more about their efforts and the show from jesse over at The Flyer.
3. Phineas & The Fantastic Fairy Tale Factory, Crosstown Arts, Saturday, 11 a.m. – noon, free, all ages/kid-friendly
From Crosstown Arts: “Come enjoy “Phineas and the Fantastic Fairy Tale Factory,” an original children’s story featuring audience participation and musical accompaniment by members of the Memphis Symphony Orchestra.”
4. Young At Art’s Excellent Adventure 90s Party, Dixon Gallery & Gardens, Saturday, 7 p.m. – 10 p.m., $35 non-members, 21 and up
Don your best 90s outfit (think cocktail grunge) and head to the Dixon for Young at Art’s 90s dance party, with snacks, open bar, silent auction, and silent disco. Young at Art Members are free, and nonmembers can buy tickets at the door.
5. Handmade Valentine’s Party, Memphis Made Brewing, Sunday, 1 p.m., free to attend, all ages/kid-friendly
Valentine’s pop-up market with local woodworking, pottery, jewelry, and art for sale. Have a beer while you shop, order a pizza from Aldo’s, play pinball and other games.
Plus a few extras…
– Opera Memphis presents HMS Pinafore, a classic fun opera about the romantic antics of the caption and crew of the good ship Pinafore. See the show at GPAC Feb. 8-10.
– Tuck Everlasting The Musical – the story of a girl who “becomes unexpectedly entwined” in a very special family. Tickets to this musical at Playhouse on the Square would make a great early V-Day gift for a theater lover. The show runs until Feb. 9.
–Works of Heart, Memphis Child Advocacy Center’s annual Valentines art show and auction at Memphis College of Art is a way to give back and have a great time. Bid on more than 100 heart-themed works by leading regional artists while enjoying complimentary beer, wine, and appetizers. February 9, 7-10 p.m. $75 GA.
– No Show Ball Feel like staying in with your sugarbear? Have a romantic Valentine’s Dinner dropped off on your doorstep! Includes entree, salad, side, bread, dessert and a bottle of wine. Proceeds benefit the Forrest Spence Fund, helping to cover non-medical needs for families of patients at local pediatric hospitals. Saturday, February 9. $100 per cooler.
– All Black Affair at The WKND Hang Suite features a GRAMMY Award-winning saxophonist Joe Johnson from 8 p.m. – 10 p.m. with complimentary appetizers. Feb. 9. $22 +.
And even more…
– Afro-Latino Night Concert at Evergeen Theatre
– Works of Heart Art Show & Auction at MCA
– Kelly Clarkson at Landers Center
– Folk All Y’all: An Evening With Ellisa Sun at Studio688
– Bomba Dance Workshop at Evergreen Theatre
– Soldering Demo at Crosstown Arts
– Sock-It-To-Me Burlesque Valentine’s show at Rockhouse Live Raleigh Lagrange
– Drafts & Laughs at Memphis Made Brewing
– Forever Loving Marley at Railgarten
– Marcella & Her Lovers at Bar DKDC
See even more on the calendar.