Memphis Valentine’s Day Events 2019
Originally published Jan 16. Updated Feb. 8.
Woohoo, hearts and candy and such. If you’re into Valentine’s Day in Memphis, keep scrolling for Memphis Valentine’s Day dinner ideas and other cool date ideas. If you’re not into Valentine’s Day, a good chunk of these are just fun things to do in mid-February in Memphis.
Here are some ideas for celebrating Valentine’s Day in Memphis, in four sections: a) Dinner Date Ideas, b) Shows & Concerts, C) Unique Date/Group Ideas, D) Family-Friendly. Submit your additions here.
A) Memphis Valentine’s Dinner Ideas
Here are some Memphis Valentine’s Day dinner date ideas. Many restaurants offer a prix fixe menu at a set prices, others may stick with their usual dinner menu. Absolutely make reservations and tip well.
Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen
Babalu (East Memphis and Midtown locations are doing a special multi-course “Babalu for Two” menu from Feb. 11-18)
Blue Nile Ethiopian Kitchen
Bounty on Broad
Catherine & Mary’s
Cheesecake Corner (for dessert)
Celtic Crossing (they’re doing a dinner)
Evelyn & Olive
The Lookout at The Pyramid (they’re doing a dinner)
Maximo’s on Broad
Mesquite Chop House
Raven & Lily
Strano by Chef Josh
Texas de Brazil
Terrace at the River Inn
B) See a Show or Concert
There are plenty of ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day in Memphis. Here are some Memphis Valentine’s Date Ideas.
Opera Memphis presents HMS Pinafore, a classic fun opera about the romantic antics of the caption and crew of the good ship Pinafore. See the show at GPAC Feb. 8-10.
– Tuck Everlasting The Musical – the story of a girl who “becomes unexpectedly entwined” in a very special family. Tickets to this musical at Playhouse on the Square would make a great early V-Day gift for a theater lover. The show runs until Feb. 9.
– Kafé Kirk at the Halloran Centre, an ongoing Sunday jazz concert series featuring Kirk Whalum and friends, has a show on Feb. 10 at 6 p.m. Featuring special guest Everette Harp.
– On Your Feet! – the Emilio and Gloria Estefan Broadway musical – comes to the The Orpheum Feb. 12 – 17.
– Coheed and Cambria with special guests Foxing perform at the New Daisy on Feb. 13. 7:30 p.m.
– Memphis Soul Remedy and Dirty Streets take the stage at Lafayette’s at 6 p.m. and 9 p.m., respectively, on Valentine’s Day.
– Travis Green & Mosaic MSC host a show at the New Daisy on Friday, Feb. 15. Doors at 6 p.m.
– David Nix – Americana singer/songwriter – gives a late show in the Hi-Tone’s Big Room on Feb. 16. Show at 11 p.m. Or – if you’re looking for real romance – take your date to a band called “Gutter Demons” in the Small Room at 10 p.m.
– Rice Drewery (2 p.m.), Bluff City Bandits (6:30 p.m.), and Seeing Red (10 p.m.) perform at Lafayette’s on Saturday, Feb. 16.
– Brent Cobb & Them brings their Sucker For A Good Time tour to Minglewood’s 1884 Lounge on Feb. 16.
– Lettuce Vibe Up Tour (w/ The Greyhounds) performs at Minglewood Hall on Tues. Feb. 9 at 8 p.m.
– Foxies indie pop group performs at Railgarten on Feb. 15 from 9 p.m. ’til midnight.
– Sarah McLachlan performs at The Orpheum Theatre on Feb. 22. A perfect belated Valentine’s present for beautiful people who love crying at commercials and beloved 90s singer-songwriters.
C) Something Different: Date Ideas For Couples and Friends
Looking for some Memphis Valentine’s Day ideas for people who are single? Grab some friends or your BFF and try out some of the group- and single-friendly Memphis Valentine’s Day ideas.
– Cosmic Skate at Mid-South Ice House. Couples skate, anyone? Head to Southaven for a little wintery romance on Saturdays in February from 7:15 p.m. – 10 p.m.. They turn down the lights, turn up fun music, and drop a disco ball.
–Timeless Romance Exhibit Opening at Woodruff-Fontaine House in Victorian Village. This pre-Valentines tour focuses on Victorian courtship. History buffs and romantics can learn about the proper courting etiquette and secret languages of love of the gilded age. Refreshments will be served. February 1, 5 p.m. – 8 p.m. $20.
– Master Taster’s Club at the Peabody Corner Bar. This informal monthly tasting event goes romantic for February with a “Wines With A Love Story Theme”. Wine and light bites on Feb. 6 from 5:30 p.m. – 7 p.m. $25.
– Valentine Truffle Tasting. Primas Bakery & Boutique downtown will serve four truffles with complimentary wine, plus 15% their purchase that night. Feb. 9. 4 p.m. – 6 p.m. $12.
– Heartbreakers v. Knockouts Burlesque is a variety show taken to the next level – burlesque performers, belly dancers, aerialists, comics, hoopers, and live music from Crown Vox. There are two shows: one at RockHouseLive Raleigh LaGrange on Feb. 9 at 8 p.m., and a “rematch” on Feb. 16 at Club Spectrum downtown at 9 p.m. $10 GA/$25 VIP seats.
–Hallelujah FM Valentine’s Ball at the Esplanade offers an adult Christian atmosphere, complete with dancing, a dating game, and appetizers. February 9, 7-11 p.m. $30.
–Works of Heart, Memphis Child Advocacy Center’s annual Valentines art show and auction at Memphis College of Art is a way to give back and have a great time. Bid on more than 100 heart-themed works by leading regional artists while enjoying complimentary beer, wine, and appetizers. February 9, 7-10 p.m. $75 GA.
– No Show Ball Feel like staying in with your sugarbear? Have a romantic Valentine’s Dinner dropped off on your doorstep! Includes entree, salad, side, bread, dessert and a bottle of wine. Proceeds benefit the Forrest Spence Fund, helping to cover non-medical needs for families of patients at local pediatric hospitals. Saturday, February 9. $100 per cooler.
– All Black Affair at The WKND Hang Suite features a GRAMMY Award-winning saxophonist Joe Johnson from 8 p.m. – 10 p.m. with complimentary appetizers. Feb. 9. $22 +.
– Flowers & Chocolate is a beer-and-chocolate pairing at Wiseacre; tickets include a tour and tasting of multiple beer samples with Dinstuhl’s chocolate. Feb. 9, at 4 p.m. or 6 p.m. Limited tickets. $20.
–Memphis Grizzlies games at FedEx Forum on Feb. 9 and 12. Grizz play the Pelcians on Saturday the 9th and the Spurs on Tuesday the 12th. Share a popcorn (or wings from Wing Guru, hellooooo) and be a shameless homer as the Grizz take on the Pelicans. Even if they don’t win, maybe you’ll get lucky…or at least get on the kiss cam. Prices vary.
– Whiskey, Wine, and Chocolates at the Botanic Garden is on Feb. 9 at 7 p.m. Enjoy chocolates and appetizers paired with whiskey, wine, beer, cocktails, and chocolates. Limited tickets. $48+.
– Let’s Paint in Southaven offers a variety of fun Painting Classes in February. They’re doing Galentine’s Texture Paint class on Feb. 10 ($45) Dine + Paint on Feb. 15 and 16 ($150/couple), and Paint Date (call for pricing) on Sunday, Feb. 17. Limited space. Make your reservations.
– Pitter Potter Studio in Cordova is offering a Couple Canvas painting class ($45 per couple) on Feb. 14. Limited space. Make reservations.
– Drunk Taboo at Railgarten has nothing, really, to do with Valentine’s Day, but it seems fun. So if you want to drink and play this game of verbal charades, head up there on Sun. Feb. 10 from 7 p.m. – 10 p.m. Free w/ purchase, reservations not necessary but do reserve your spot.
–Drink-N-Draw at Atomic Tiki is an evening of drinks, snacks, drawing, and games hosted by artist Eric Clausen. Feb. 13, 8 p.m. – 10 p.m. This one’s Valentine’s themed. $5.
–Valentine’s Day Dance Classes at Blue Suede Ballroom. Have two left feet? Bring your special someone and work on your dance moves. Classes on February 14 at 5 p.m., 6 p.m., or 7 p.m., or on Saturday, Feb. 16 at 5 p.m. Reservations required. $35/couple.
–Romantic Comedy Movie Trivia on Valentine’s Day at starting at Pimento’s, Maciel’s Highland, and Memphis Made taproom at 7 p.m. (Pimento’s is at 6:30 p.m.). Get the crew together and see who’s seen the sappiest cinema. Free to play. Be sure to reserve your spot.
– Valentine’s Day Soiree is back at the Esplanade event venue this year, so reserve your sweetheart table for two and enjoy live music, dance floor, open bar, buffet dinner, and a bottle of champagne. Feb. 14, 6:30 pm. – 10:30 p.m. $75 ind./$150 couple.
– Drunk Love: A Blind Dating Game Show is a game night at Rec Room on Feb. 14 from 7 p.m – 10 p.m. Free.
– Valentine’s Day Dinner & Music Cruise is a two-hour Memphis Riverboat cruise on the Mississippi with a live jazz band, buffet with pork tenderloin, and cash bar. Feb. 14. Boarding begins at 6:30 p.m.
– Chocistry at the Memphis Botanic Garden is a blind taste-test of eight designer chocolates paired with eight sparkling wines. Philip Ashley Chocolates hosts, and there will be heavy hors d’oeuvres. Feb. 14. 7 p.m. – 9 p.m. $150 per person.
– Galentine’s Day Tea at Woodruff-Fontaine House is your chance to grab a few girlfriends and tour the Timeless Romance Victorian courtship exhibit in this gorgeous historic home and enjoy a proper afternoon tea. Feb. 17, 2 p.m. – 4 p.m.
– Primas Tea Party Series: Tangled. This month’s Primas Bakery & Boutique teat party is “Tangled” themed. Enjoy themed pastries with tea, coffee, and cocoa. Feb. 10. 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m. $25 for two.
– Memphis Shrine Circus is an annual Mid-South tradition for the whole family. Feb. 14-17 at the Agricenter.
–Trolley Stop Market will host a Valentine’s Night party for families from 5:30 -8:30 p.m. on the 14th. Kids can decorate cookies and cupcakes and make valentines, have their faces painted, and watch the kid-friendly movies. $2 adults/$5 kids.
We’ll update this list as more events and activities are announced. Submit your events here.