Memphis Valentine’s Day Events 2018
Ed. Note: Contributor Aisling Maki has put together this handy list of Valentine’s Day events for 2018. We’ll add to it as more events are announced. You can submit yours here.
It’s that time of year, when lovers take the spotlight to revel in their togetherness. Whether you want to plan a pleasant romantic dinner, check out live music, or take a chance on something a little more unconventional – like trivia, burlesque shows, or yoga with craft brews – we’ve got you covered.
There are also activities for singles – content to fly solo or ready to mingle – and parents looking for family-friendly V-Day ideas. I’ll be taking my tween daughter somewhere nice our for our annual Galentine’s dinner.
The week of Valentine’s Day is also Mardi Gras and Chinese New Year, so things might get a little weird/crazy. But whatever and whomever you’re into, it’s all about the love, right?
Here are some ideas for celebrating Valentine’s Day in the Bluff City.
Go To Dinner
– B.B. King’s will serve a pre-fixe three-course dinner for $50 per couple, and afterwards you and your sweetheart can dance to live music, Feb. 12-14
– Celtic Crossing offers a special three-course dinner starting at 5 p.m. on Valentine’s Day. It includes a gift of Irish Butler’s Heart Chocolates. The cost is $40 per person. Their regular menu will also be available, plus live music to keep you entertained if your date is a dud.
-Majestic Grille offers Valentine’s Day specials, as well as items from the regular menu. Reservations are recommended.
-Memphis Riverboats will host a Valentine’s Day Dinner and Music Cruise, which includes two hours cruising with your darling on the Mighty Mississippi, music from the House Jazz Band and a buffet featuring beef brisket, green beans, mashed potatoes, salad, rolls and dessert. A cash/credit bar is available. Boarding begins at 6:30 and departure is 7 p.m.
– Capriccio Grill will offer a romantic three-course Valentine’s dinner featuring lobster or surf and turf and a delicious chocolate dessert meant to be shared. $70 per person includes valet parking.February 14-17, 5 – 11 p.m.
– Chez Philippe will host a four-course Valentine’s dinner with optional wine pairing. $95 per person includes valet parking. Bring your sweetheart to one of Open Table’s Top 100 Romantic Restaurants in the US. February 14-17 from 6 -10 p.m.
– Guest House at Graceland will offer a four-course French-inspired Valentine’s Day dinner at Delta’s Kitchen, the hotel’s premier restaurant. $65 per adult, plus tax and gratuity. Reservations required. February 14, 16 and 17 from 5 – 10 p.m.
– Maximo’s on Broad will offer a prix Fixe menu with 4 courses at $75 per person, with a complimentary glass of sparkling wine.
Here are some more ideas for fancy-ish dinner. We will update with more details as we have them. Make sure to call ahead for reservations.
Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen
Bounty on Broad
Catherine & Mary’s
Mesquite Chop House
Texas de Brazil
Terrace at the River Inn
See a show or concert
–Once – the final performance of this award-winning romantic musical at Playhouse on the Square. It centers on a Dublin street musician who’s about to give up on his dream when he meets a woman who takes a sudden interest in his haunting love songs. February 11, 2 p.m.
–Big Gigantic The electronic music duo will play the New Daisy on Valentine’s Night. Doors open at 7 p.m.
–Black Love Live at the Rumba Room on Valentine’s Day will feature music from Carla Barnes, Bird Williams, Lil Rounds, and Courtney Little. 7-10 p.m.
–Hi Tone will host Motion Hotel, Backwood Row, and Bearport on Valentine’s Night starting at 8 p.m. Tickets are $7.
–Lafayette’s in Overton Square will have live music on Valentine’s Day from the ’08 starting at 8 p.m.
– Loflin Yard will host a singer-songwriter night on the 14th from 8 p.m. to 10 p.m. Featured performers will be Susan Marshall, Rebecca Almond, Jana Misener, and Misti Rae Holton; they’ll also have happy hour specials.
– Indie Memphis will co-host a Special Valentine’s Day Screening and show with The CLTV at 652 Marshall Avenue in The Edge. More info will be released soon.
–First Friday Victorian Romance at Woodruff-Fontaine House in Victorian Village. This pre-Valentines tour focuses on Victorian courtship. History buffs and romantics can learn about the proper courting etiquette and secret languages of love of the gilded age. Refreshments will be served. $15 per person. February 2.
–Heartbreakers Burlesque at Rockhouse Live will spice up your holiday with burlesque, pole, belly dancing, and even fire. It’s totally gonna be lit. February 3. $15-$25. Doors open at 8 p.m.
– Ghost River Brewing will have a Valentine’s Market on February 10th at their taproom with five different local vendors selling cool gifts. There’s also a Mardi Gras bar crawl happening in South Main at that same day/time.
–Hallelujah FM Valentine’s Ball at the Crowne Plaza East offers an adult Christian atmosphere, complete with dancing, a dating game, and appetizers. $25. February 10, 7-11 p.m.
–Works of Heart, Memphis Child Advocacy Center’s annual Valentines art show and auction at Memphis College of Art, is always a great night. Bid on more than 100 heart-themed works by leading regional artists while enjoying complimentary beer, wine, and appetizers. Volunteers, including me, will be on hand to provide information about artists. Come say ‘hi!” February 10, 7-10 p.m.
– No Show Ball Feel like staying in with your sugarbear? Have a full, romantic Valentine’s Dinner dropped off on your doorstep! Includes entree, salad, side, bread, dessert and a bottle of wine. Proceeds benefit the Forrest Spence Fund, helping to cover non-medical needs for families of patients at local pediatric hospitals. Saturday, February 10.
–Munch and Learn: The Best Artist Love Stories Ever at The Dixon on February 14 at noon. Part of a brown-bag lecture series featuring local artists, experts, and staff. Bring your own lunch or purchase one on site and listen to some great love stories. Free for members and students with ID.
–Eagle Tours at Reelfoot Lake If I had a special someone, this would be my choice of date. It’s a bit of a drive but a romantic outing for nature lovers who can do a daytime tour on Valentine’s Day.
– Chez Philippe will host a Valentine’s Sweetheart Tea — a three-course afternoon tea service with Valentine’s-themed treats, including tea sandwiches, sweets, warm scones and pink champagne. $35 – $45 per person and valet parking is included. February 14-17 from 1:30 – 3:30 p.m. (I’m including this under the “families” section, too, as I can see it being the perfect mom/daughter day out.)
–Geeks Who Drink Trivia at Ghost River Brewing. This happens most Wednesdays, this one just happens to be from 7-9 p.m. on V-Day.
–Kouple’s Karaoke at Opera Memphis will feature food, red carpet, DJ and dancing. The best couple’s performance will be awarded. $100 per couple. 7-10 p.m.
–Memphis Grizzlies vs. Oklahoma Thunder at FedEx Forum on Valentine’s Night. Share a popcorn and cheer on the hometown team as they take on the Thunder. Even if they don’t win, maybe you’ll get lucky, or at least get on the kiss cam.
–Public Skating at Mid-South Ice House. Couples skate, anyone? Head to Southaven for a little wintery romance.
–Valentine’s Day Dance Class at Blue Suede Ballroom. Have two left feet? Bring your special someone and work on your dance moves. $39 per couple. RSVP required. 5 pm. and 6 p.m.
–Romantic Comedy Movie Trivia on Valentine’s Day at Loflin Yard, LBOE and TJ Mulligan’s in Cordova starting at 7 p.m. Find out how much of a sap your date is.
–Valentine’s Date Night at Let’s Paint in Southaven features a catered dinner and couples painting. No alcohol will be served but you can BYOB. $150 per couple. 6-9 p.m.
Bendi Brewski Yoga at High Cotton Brewing. Bring your sugar bear to this beginner-friendly yoga class, followed by a round of pints. $15 per person. February 15, 6-8 p.m.
–Bitter Ball: Memphis’ Valentine Redemption Party at Tin Roof Memphis invites you to dance the night away with 1,000 of your closest friends. Featuring musical guests TBA and a photo booth. February 9, 8 p.m.
-Veg Speed Date Memphis – Valentine’s Edition at Imagine Vegan Café. If you’re a herbivore looking for love, here’s a great opportunity for you to meet your match. February 9, 7-9 p.m.
– Wiseacre hosts an Adult Prom 90s Dance Party on February 10 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. If you dress up, you get $1 off pints. Earlier that day, they’re doing a flowers + chocolate beer pairing and tour starting at 2 p.m. ($20). You must sign up for the tour here.
–Pink Palace will be the site of A Red Carpet Experience: A Valentine’s Edition. This event is for both couples and singles and will feature comedy, music from a DJ and an open bar. On the menu: glazed chicken and salmon, penne pasta alfredo, vegetable medley. From 7 p.m. to midnight.
-Two Rivers Bookstore will host “Singles Mingle” from 6 – 8 p.m. to help you find love this Valentine’s Day. It’s open to single folks of all genders and lifestyles. Enjoy refreshments, games and trivia. $5 admission in advance, $7 at the door.
–Get Outside! Fitness: Mental Fitness-Happiness-Wellness Series. Give yourself an hour of self-love in the great outdoors, starting at 10:45 am. at Shelby Farms Park.
–Singles Appreciation Day at the Universal Parenting Place. The day after Valentine’s Day has been designated Singles Appreciation Day. There are many benefits to being single! Celebrate your singleness at this event. February 15, 5:30 – 7 p.m.
–Poetry, Love and Hip Hop: Valentine’s Day Edition at Rumba Rom. Open to couples and singles. Bring your friends for some amazing poetry and hip-hop with an infusion of comedy. Artists will answer questions about love, heartbreak, happiness, regret, and more. If they’re single, you may get a chance to walk away with a date. February 17, 6 – 9 p.m.
Family Date Night Valentine Gala at Olive Branch Country Club, featuring a meal, entertainment, crafts, photo booth, dancing and other family friendly entertainment at this masquerade ball-themed event. February 8, 5-8 p.m. $10 per person, free for kids under2.
–Trolley Stop Market will host a Valentine’s Night party for families from 5-8 p.m. They’ll offer heart- shaped pizzas, kids crafts, cupcake, cookie decorating, and door prizes every 30 minutes. They’ll also show a family friendly movie.
– Chez Philippe will host a Valentine’s Sweetheart Tea — a three-course afternoon tea service with Valentine’s-themed treats, including tea sandwiches, sweets, warm scones and pink champagne. $35 – $45 per person and valet parking is included. February 14-17 from 1:30 – 3:30 p.m.
We’ll be updating this list as more events and activities are announced.
You can check out this list of sweet treats, too!
About the Author
Aisling Maki is a freelance writer, editor, and public and media relations specialist with awards from The Associated Press, Society of Professional Journalists and Public Relations Society of America, as well as several awards for fiction writing. Her work has appeared in publications in more than 20 countries. You can usually find her cheering on the Grizzlies, doing outdoorsy things, or traveling with her daughter, Brídín. They live in Cooper-Young with a dog, a guinea pig and a pair of pet mice.