Bragging Rights:Astronaut Status Edition
Happy Wednesday, Memphis! Here are six new reasons to be proud of Memphis today, plus a few helpful news updates and happy stories in the Bluff City.
1. Two Memphis women were featured in Southern Living’s recent piece, “30 Women Moving Southern Food Forward” . I was so happy to see both Lisa Toro (City & State, The Liquor Store) and Cynthia Daniels (Memphis Black Restaurant Week) on the list talking about what they’d done for the Memphis – and Southern – food scene.
2. Glassdoor.com named St. Jude one of the best places to work in the country in their recent ranking of companies’ employee satisfaction. They’re number nine on the list of top large companies – wow! We can all be proud to have places like St. Jude representing our city.
3. This Friday, Wiseacre releases their annual Astronaut Status bourbon barrel aged imperial stout. The beer gets national attention and was named “Best Brew In The State” by Popsugar this fall, and is highest rated Tennessee-made beer on three top consumer beer sites: Untappd, Rate Beer, and Beer Advocate. Astronaut Status also won the 2016 Best Beer in Tennessee Gold Medal from Rate Beer. Congrats, Wiseacre! The brewery expects people from across the state and surrounding region to show up for the release party – 22 oz. bottles go on sale at 1 p.m. and buyers are limited to three cases.
4. The 34th Annual International Blues Challenge returns to Beale Street on January 16-20, 2018 and we’re going to have some special guests in town in addition to the hundreds of blues musicians from around the world. John Oates and Little Steven Van Zandt will give talks about their current and upcoming books and projects. Read more here and stay tuned to this blog for more info on the IBC.
5. Memphis was once again named the most generous city in the United States, according to the Chronicle of Philanthropy. Check out some great organizations to give back to here.
6. Business Insider says that Memphis is one of the top 11 cities where millennials are moving. Watch out, casual chain restaurants!
And some quick news updates/heads-up:
– Neil deGrasse Tyson is coming back to the Orpheum in February. Tickets go on sale tomorrow (Dec. 21).
– You have a few more days to suggest locations for bike share stations. Click here.
– A stray dog was found at the airport back in October and now his name is Runway and he has a forever home. Awww.
– Memphis attractions are nominated for a few awards in USAToday’s 10Best contests – check those out and cast your votes for Graceland here and here. We really don’t want Memphis to get forgotten in these kinds of online polls!
– If you’ve subscribed to email updates (which you should do – there’s a link in the sidebar) you might not catch all of the articles that we’re updating on a regular basis. ICYMI: An Updated List of Delicious Memphis Soups.
– All the holiday guides and roundups are now published on I Love Memphis:
– Charitable Giving/Volunteering Guide
– Holiday Events
– Places open on Christmas Day and Christmas Eve
– Guide To The Liberty Bowl
– A Look Back at 2017
– New Year’s Eve Events
– Places open on New Year’s Day