5 Things To Do This Weekend: 12/29 – 12/31
Goodbye 2017 and Go Tigers Go! Here are five ways to ring in the new year in Memphis this weekend, plus a few extras.
Don’t forget to check out the Liberty Bowl Guide, the New Year’s Eve Events Guide, and list of places that will be open on New Year’s Day.
1. Liberty Bowl Events, Beale Street/Liberty Bowl, Friday – Saturday, prices vary, all ages/kid-friendly
The Memphis Tigers take on the Iowa State Cyclones this weekend in the 59th Annual AutoZone Liberty Bowl. The weekend begins with a parade on Beale at 3 p.m. Friday, directly followed by a pep rally in Handy Park. The game itself kicks off at 11:30 a.m. on Saturday, with a Tiger Walk at 9 a.m. There’s a ticketed pre-game party buffet in the Pipkin Building starting at 8:30 a.m.
2. Trolley Night, South Main Arts District, Friday, 6 p.m. – 9 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
The last Friday of the month is always Trolley NIght in South Main, with shops and galleries hosting open houses; usually a few have live music, free booze and snacks, and it’s great for shopping and people watching. This weekend South Main goes all out for the Liberty Bowl crowd with music from Delta Heart at the Arcade, Sean Apple at The Vault, and more.
3. Memphis Improv & Sketch Collective, Midtown Crossing Grill, Friday, 8 p.m – 10 p.m., $5, 21 and up
Memphis’ improv and sketch group hosts a monthly show with hilarious games chock full of audience participation and skits, so head over to the Midtown Crossing Grill, order some pizza and a bucket of beer, and enjoy what they’re calling the “festive garbage people to make you laugh” holiday edition.
4. Last Chance For Holiday Displays, Friday and Saturday
Memphis’ holiday displays/light things are still happening this weekend, so check out the hours for Starry Nights at Shelby Farms, the Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace, and the Holiday Wonders at Memphis Botanic Garden, Christmas at Graceland (which actually goes through January 8), Zoo Lights… you can get the rest of holiday cheer out of your system before NYE!
5. New Year’s Eve Events, all over town, various hours, but mostly Sunday night, prices vary, ages vary, most for adults
I’m not going to list out all the dozens of New Year’s Eve events in Memphis this year because there’s already a handy dandy list – put together by Wesley – right here. Head to that NYE events guide and let’s say toodles to 2017 in style.
All Weekend incl. ongoing holiday events and shows (check links for exact days and times)
– Junie B. Jones The Musical at Circuit Playhouse (through Dec. 23)
– Peter Pan at Playhouse on the Square (through Dec. 31)
– Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace (through Dec. 31)
– Holiday Wonders at Memphis Botanic Garden (through Dec. 30)
– Starry Nights at Shelby Farms (through Dec. 29)
– Mistletoe Village at Starry Nights, Shelby Farms Park (through Dec. 29)
– Holiday Group Exhibition at L. Ross Gallery thru Dec. 30
– Christmas at Graceland, November 16-January 8
– Zoo Lights, November 17 – December 30, Select Nights
See more on the blog’s calendar here.
Looking for places that will be open on Monday, New Year’s Day? Click here.