5 Things To Do This Weekend: 7/14 – 7/16
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things to do this weekend. For tons more, check the calendar.
1. Beauty Shop 15th Anniversary, Beauty Shop/Bar DKDC, Friday – Saturday, costs vary, ages vary
The Beauty Shop celebrates 15 years in business by bringing back their original 2002 menu for two nights, plus hosting a second line down Cooper at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday featuring the Wild Magnolia Mardi Gras Indians. They’ll also perform at Bar DKDC afterward followed by more live music from Jack Oblivian.
2. Memphis Caribbean Jerk Festival, Tiger Lane, Saturday, noon to 10 p.m., $10 adv./$20 gate, all ages/kid-friendly
The 2nd annual Memphis Caribbean Jerk Festival and Family Fun Day moves to Tiger Lane this year. They’ll have a bunch of jerk and Caribbean foods, live entertainment, a jerk cook-off, dominoes tournament, a kids’ area, and more. It benefits the Sickle Cell Foundation of Tennessee. Kids ages 12 and under are free.
3. Let’s Get Loud Producer Battle, Memphis Slim House, Saturday,$10, doors at 6pm, all ages
Team #KingPin and Team #Dutch battle it out to see which team of beat creators is the best. Each team consists of local producers who will each play a track against the opposing team to see who comes out with the better beat, and the crowd decides. (from this month’s Listen Up)
4. Chale Akwaaba (Welcome Homie!) Dance Party, CANVAS, Saturday, 9 p.m. – 1 a.m., $5,
An afrobeat dance party from DJ Siphne Aaye featuring the hottest West African, Ghanaian, soca, and dancehall music. Dance lessons begin at 9 p.m.. Dance party starts at 10 p.m.
5. Sache Sunday: Paws For A Cause, 525 S. Main St., Sunday, 11 a.m. – 7 p.m., $10, all ages/kid + pup-friendly
Sache Design hosts a block-party fundraiser benefitting the Streetdog Foundation this Sunday. They’ll have: “a water slide and mini puppy pools, raffles from South Main businesses, goodies from BreakFest901, Old Dominick Distillery, The VAULT on GE Patterson, and more”. Bring your crowd-friendly dogs as well as gift cards for pet stores and gas (for traveling dog rescue teams) or approved doggie items to donate.
Don’t forget, it’s also the last weekend of the Levitt Shell’s summer concert series.