9 Ways To Give Back To Memphis This Month (May 2017)
Volunteer Odyssey and I Love Memphis make it super easy for you to help the city you love by publishing a monthly list of easy, fun ways to give back. Here are nine ideas for April, including one for tonight! Go ahead and sign up, it’s a super fun one.
1. Volunteer Odyssey’s VolunCheers benefitting Habitat for Humanity: Tuesday, May 9th from 6-7:30pm
Join Volunteer Odyssey for a volunteer happy hour. It’s a great way to fit volunteering into your busy schedule and meet new people. Drinks and snacks are provided. Must be 21+
2. Catholic Charities Big Mobile Food Distribution- St Paul’s Catholic Church: Thursday, May 11th from 8am to noon
Catholic Charities is partnering with the Mid South Food Bank to provide food stability to over 450 households. Volunteers will need to be able to stand for long periods of time because they will be picking up bags of food and loading them into cars.
3. Memphis Botanic Garden Campfire Date Night: Friday, May 12th from 7pm-9pm
Memphis Botanic Garden is looking for volunteers to help provide a romantic evening for adults around the campfire. Volunteers must be 21+, and although the event is outdoors, volunteers are asked to wear clean neat clothing.
4. Shelby Farms 2017 Dog-A-Roo: Saturday, May 13th from 9am-4pm
If you have a love of dogs, this could be a great event for you to volunteer for! The Dog-A-Roo festival includes a talent and costume contest, rescue parades, the Four Legged 4K Fun Run, gourmet pet treats, and pet specialists information sessions. Volunteers are needed to help with the 4-Legged 4K run, parking and set up.
5. Clean Memphis’ MIFA Community Cleanup: Saturday, May 13th from 9am-noon
Volunteers are needed to help remove trash and debris from MIFA’s neighborhood. This is a great way to join people from diverse backgrounds in working together to beautify the streets of 38126. All ages are welcome to volunteer.
6. Memphis Botanic Garden Dog Day: Sunday, May 21st from 1pm-5:30pm
Join Memphis Botanic Garden for a dog-friendly event featuring contests, a dog play area, and vendors. Volunteers will help with set-up, clean up, the doggy play areas, admissions, and be contest assistants. Volunteers are asked to dress for outdoor weather.
Sign Up Here
7. Pack Produce Bags with Bring It Food Hub: every Tuesday through Thursday from 10am-2pm
Bring It Food Hub needs volunteers to help pack produce every Tuesday through Thursday until May 12th and then starting again on May 30th. Packing produce includes receiving produce from local farmers; sorting, weight, and bagging produce; labeling subscription bags; packaging produce orders, and loading back ups for delivery. This is a great opportunity to experience our local food system at work!
8. Memphis Public Libraries Spring 2017 Book Sale: Thursday, May 25th– Saturday, May 27th with various times
The 2017 Spring Book Sale is a semi annual sale to raise funds for the library, and volunteers are needed to help work the book sale. This is a great opportunity if you love books and love to share that passion with others.
9. Day of Merrymaking Festival at Overton Park: Friday, June 2nd and Saturday, June 3rd with various shifts available
Day of Merrymaking is Overton Park’s annual family festival, and they need your help. Volunteers are needed to help with setup on Friday and on Saturday morning, to help during the event, and to help with clean up.
If none of these strike your fancy, click here to take a tour of 7 different organizations to see if their volunteer opportunities are a perfect match for you. Or, there are more than 80 volunteer opportunities on Volunteer Odyssey’s Calendar: volunteerodyssey.com/calendar.
If you sign up for one of the above opportunities (or find another one through Volunteer Odyssey), please let me know. I’d love to give a shout-out to you next month.
Who knows? Maybe your experience will encourage others to give back some Memphis lovin’, too.