5 Things To Do This Weekend: 12/9 – 12/11
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss this weekend. If you’re looking for holiday events, go here. If you’re looking for New Year’s Eve events, go here. Also, I Love Memphis finally sells t-shirts online. Check out shop.ilovememphisblog.com.
1. Ballet Memphis’ The Nutcracker, The Orpheum Theatre, Friday – Sunday , $9.50 – $74.50, all ages/kid-friendly
More than 100 dancers with magical sets and costumes make up Ballet Memphis’ production of The Nutcracker.
2. Indie Memphis Holiday Market, Muddy’s Midtown, Saturday, 11 a.m. – 5 p.m., free to enter, all ages
This curated market features carefully selected artisans, vendors, and makers offering their wares in the Muddy’s Midtown backyard. There will be 20+ booths, music, and food trucks.
3. Time Warp Drive-In: STRANGE CHRISTMAS, Summer Drive-In, Saturday, 6 p.m., $10/person, 13+
Join Black Lodge and Guerilla Monster Films for Strange Christmas: a double feature of bizarre yuletide fairy tales. Start with Tim Burton’s legendary gothic love story Edward Scissorhands, then hit the seasonal insanity into overdrive with a true lost gem of jaw-dropping cinema history: the bizarre, mind-bending 1959 children’s fairy tale film known as Satan Claus v. Satan (Ed. Note: what on earth?? Someone see this and report back to me)
4. Brennan Villine’s Holiday Block Party, Playhouse on the Square, Saturday, 7 p.m., $20, all ages
If you want to attend the classiest musical shindig around, check out Brennan Villine’s Holiday Block Party this Saturday night. Local musicians will perform throughout the evening, including Marcella and Her Lovers, Juju Bushman, and Jana Misener. Brennan will premiere new songs with a full orchestra and special guest Susan Marshall; Preauxx plays the after party.
5. Grilled Cheese Festival, Hi-Tone, Sunday, noon – 6 p.m. $5, all ages
There’s been some confusion due to a faulty Facebook event, but let me be clear: the event is from noon to 6pm this Sunday. Local teams will compete in categories like “Most Cheesiest Sandwich” and “Best Tomato Soup” and you can get samples (while supplies last) in return for donations to ALIVE Memphis animal rescue. The Hi-Tone bars will be open, there will be music, and a grilled cheese eating competition.
Here’s a few more ideas…
Ongoing holiday events
– Fourth Bluff Ice Rink (opens this Saturady at 10 a.m. – details)
– Zoo Lights at the Memphis Zoo
– Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace
– Junie B. in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! at Circuit Playhouse
– Santaland Diaries at Circuit Playhouse
– Peter Pan at Playhouse on the Square
– Starry Nights at Shelby Farms
– Wiseacre’s Tacky Sweater Party on Friday at 4 p.m.
– Karen Waldrup at the Dirty Crow on Friday at 9 p.m.
– Bike To Lunch on Saturday (ride goes from Revolutions to Four Way Restaurant)
– Crosstown Concourse Job Fair on Saturday 10 a.m. – 4 p.m.
– Seasonal Crosstown Markets on Saturday 11 a.m. – 4 p.m.
– Army v. Navy Watch Party at High Cotton on Saturday
– Jingle Bell Ball on Sunday at the Peabody Hotel
Even more on the calendar.