5 Things To Do This Weekend: 12/23 – 12/25
Happy Friday, Happy Hanukkah, and Merry Christmas, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss this weekend, plus plenty of extras.
1. Fourth Bluff Ice Rink, Mississippi River Park, Friday – Saturday, $10 to skate, all ages/kid-friendly
Downtown’s ice skating rink will be open on Friday from 2 p.m. to 6 p.m. and then Saturday from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. On Friday, Marcella Simien will perform live music from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m. On Saturday, there will be a DJ from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. The $10 fee includes rental and time on the ice. It’s closed on Christmas Day.
2. Zoo Lights, Memphis Zoo, Friday and Sunday, 5:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., $7 members/$9 non-members, all ages/kid-friendly
If you’re looking for something family-friendly on Christmas Day, the Memphis Zoo Lights will be open on the 25th (as well as the 23rd). In addition to all the lights, the Zoo also has ice skating, camel rides, a Ferris Wheel, and more. Some require additional fees.
3. Starry Nights, Shelby Farms, all weekend, 6 p.m. – 10 p.m., $20 per car/$50 van/$150 charter bus, all ages/kid-friendly
Enjoy a Memphis holiday tradition with a ride through Shelby Farm’s display of 1.5 million lights. Starry Nights (and Mistletoe Village, which has a petting zoo, camel + pony rides, s’more roasting). Yes, they’re open on Christmas Eve and Christmas.
4. Grizzlies v. Rockets, FedExForum, Friday, 7 p.m., prices vary, all ages/kid-friendlyCheer on the home team, holiday style at the Memphis versus Houston game tonight. Go Grizz!
5. Mannheim Steamroller Christmas, Orpheum Theatre, Friday, 8 p.m., $39 and up, all ages
Mannheim Steamroller’s show marks the 30th anniversary of the first Mannheim Steamroller Christmas album and features holiday favorites and compositions from Chip Davis’ Fresh Aire series.
More Events on Friday
– Wiseacre’s Astronaut Status Beer Release Party 1 p.m. – 10 p.m.
– Last performance of Santaland Diaries at Circuit Playhouse
– Last performance Junie B. in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! at Circuit Playhouse
– Peter Pan at Playhouse on the Square
– Last day of Memphis Botanic Garden’s Snowy Nights
– A TLK Xmas at The Cove (live bands and holiday tunes)
– The Annual Goner Christmas Party feat. Robby Grant at Bar DKDC at 10 p.m.
– Loflin Yard Holidance Party at 10 p.m.
– Silent Disco, Silent Night party at Rec Room
– Bingo + Home Alone on repeat at Memphis Made
– Christmas Eve brunch at Lafayette’s with Susan Marshall
– An MD’s Christmas at Lafayette’s (evening)
– All You Can Race at Autobahn Indoor Speedway
– Sources report a Christmas Eve Party at Wild Bill’s starting at 9 p.m.
– Mini Van Blues Band at Growlers at 10 p.m. ($7 cover)
– Christmas Eve Karaoke at Old Whitten Tavern
– Ugly Sweater Party at Spectrum Memphis
– DJ Captain E at Neil’s Music Room
– Christmas at the Peabody
– Old Forest Nature Walk, Christmas Edition at Overton Park
– Christmas on the Track at Autobahn Indoor Speedway
– Ghost Town Blues Band Christmas Show at 5 p.m. at Lafayette’s
– The Hi-Tone hosts the band Super T at 9 p.m., $10 cover
– Holiday Xmas Nite Party Jack Oblivian & the Sheiks at Bar DKDC
– PC Band Presents “Under the Mistletoe” at Memphis Sounds
– Memphis All Stars at Neil’s Music Room
For a list of opening and events on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, go to this post.