5 Things To Do This Weekend: 12/16 – 12/18
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss this weekend, plus plenty of extras. Also, if you’re looking for gift ideas…I Love Memphis finally sells t-shirts online. Check out shop.ilovememphisblog.com.
1. Sister Myotis’s Karaoke Smackdown, Theatre South (1000 S. Cooper), Friday – Saturday, $25
Come goose your holiday cheer with a big plate of karaoke and a side of judgement! River City Karaoke DJ’s are back with a vast selection of tunes (spiritual and secular) to choose from for those itchin’ to take the mic. Audience arrives at 7ish to browse song collection and sign-up for karaoke. The smackdown starts at 8pm.
2. Grizzlies Home Games, FedExForum, Friday and Sunday, prices vary, all ages/kid-friendly
The Grizzlies continue their busy December at home with two games at FedExForum, one against the Sacramento Kings on Friday at 7 p.m. The other is at 5 p.m. on Sunday against the Utah Jazz. Make a night of it by heading downtown early for ice skating at the Fourth Bluff Ice Rink, checking out the Holiday Tree at Peabody and Main, and grabbing a bit to eat before cheering on the home team.
3. Take The Soul Train To Memphis, Cannon Center, Saturday at 3 p.m., 7 p.m./Sunday at 3 p.m., $30 + fees, all ages/kid-friendly
Hattiloo Theatre presents this musical that reflects the experiences of black Americans throughout history, with a focus on the holidays.
4. Lucero Family Christmas, Minglewood Hall, Saturday, 8 p.m., $23, all ages
Join the Lucero family for their annual Christmas party at Minglewood Hall. Nikki Hill opens.
5. Hammer & Ale’s Third Birthday, Hammer & Ale, Sunday, 1 p.m. – 6 p.m., all ages (must be 21 to drink)
Celebrate three years of local and regional brews (and some pretty dang delicious foods) at Hammer & Ale’s Sunday birthday party. They’ll have $3.50 pints, $2.50 polish sausage on pretzel buns, and a raffle to win a Timothy A Barker original black & white photo.
Ongoing holiday events
– Fourth Bluff Ice Rink
– Zoo Lights at the Memphis Zoo
– Enchanted Forest at the Pink Palace (through 12/31)
– Junie B. in Jingle Bells, Batman Smells! at Circuit Playhouse (through 12/23)
– Santaland Diaries at Circuit Playhouse (through 12/23)
– Peter Pan at Playhouse on the Square (through 12/31)
– Starry Nights at Shelby Farms
– Snowy Nights at Memphis Botanic Garden
- – Madonna Learning Center Christmas Program at GPAC
- – Toys and Trivia at High Cotton
- – ARCpoint Labs Christmas Gala at Izakaya
– South Main Sounds Songwriter Night #44
- – Haunted Pub Crawl
- – Don Lifted performance at Crosstown Arts
- – Grizzlies v. Kings at FedExForum
- – HEELS CD release show at the Hi-Tone
- – Celtic Crossing’s Ugly Sweater Party
- – SneakFest Sneaker Expo at FedExForum
- – Shop Small Saturday at Ghost River Taproom feat. Erica Bodine (1-4_
- – Holiday Cheer festivities at Carriage Crossing
- – Me & Leah at Ghost River Taproom (6p -9p)
- – Rose Ball at Woodruff-Fontaine House Museum
- – Celtic Crossing’s Sexy Santa Party
- – Hot Chocolate Ride with Revolutions Bike Co-Op
- – Brunch at the Brewery at Ghost River
- – Maurice White’s 75th Birthday Celebration
- – Ghost Town Blues Band at Huey’s downtown
- – Hammer & Ale’s 3rd Anniversary Party