Attention Punk Rock Fans: Gonerfest 13 Is Upon Us
Tomorrow marks the start of the 13th annual Gonerfest, a convergence of punk rock bands that descend upon Memphis every fall for several days of loud music, wild shows, and lots and lots of PBR. Gonerfest 13 starts tomorrow. Here’s what you need to know.
– Goner Records co-owners Zac Ives and Eric Friedl started the fest in 2005 with a plan to have a few weekend shows. Word got out (like, way out) and now punk, garage, and indie rock fans from all corners of the earth come to Memphis to see the best bands in the genre. This is the thirteenth year.
– This year, there are about 35 bands. Five of those are from Memphis, the rest are from all over…everywhere from New Orleans to San Francisco, to Switzerland, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand. Read the list here. See the schedule here.
– The festival works like this:
- Opening ceremonies are at the Cooper Young Gazebo (right by Goner Records) on Thursday at 5:30 p.m.
- There are three night showcases at the Hi-Tone Thursday, Friday, and Saturday starting at 9 p.m. and going until 2 a.m. or later.
- Memphis Made Brewing taproom will host an afternoon show on Friday starting around 3 p.m.
- Murphy’s will have their annual legendary ten-band afternoon blowout on Saturday starting around 2:30 p.m.
- Closing ceremonies are back at the gazebo on Sunday at 3:30 p.m.
– This year’s headliners are Reigning Sound and Black Lips. They both go on at 1 a.m. at the Hi-Tone on Friday and Saturday nights, respectively.
– You can buy a Golden Pass, which gets you into all the events plus some extras ($75 +fees). Or, you can get individual night show passes for $25 each + fees. The Memphis Made show on Friday day is $5 and the Murphy’s Saturday day show is $10 (those are included in the Golden Pass. Get yer tix here, folks.
– Memphis Made Brewing has once again made a special beer in honor of Gonerfest, and this year it’s a session IPA in cans called Gonerfest XIII. It’s available in stores all over town. Learn more about the beer here.
– Want a preview? There’s a Gonerfest 13 mixtape with tracks from all the bands on SoundCloud that you can listen to here or on the SoundCloud player below.
– Gonerfest has an art show, too. This one’s all about Memphis gig posters, which sounds completely awesome. It’s at Crosstown Arts and the opening reception is Thursday.
– If you want to learn more about the fest check out the Commercial Appeal‘s article.
September 29 – October 2
Cooper Young Gazebo / Hi-Tone Cafe / Memphis Made / Murphy’s
$75 Golden Pass / $25 Night Shows / $5 – $10 Day Shows