Celebrate 901 Day at Exposure
901 Day has always been a sort of informal holiday in Memphis, a way for folks to celebrate our city on the day with the same numbers as our area code. As far as I know, it’s pretty much been open-ended in terms of how people mark the day – everything from events, volunteering, or just wearing a Memphis t-shirt.
This year, the New Memphis Institute and Independent Bank have put together a truly awesome-sounding event, Exposure, as one option to celebrate 901 Day. The point is to “expose” Memphians to everything that’s going on in our city, with an emphasis on ways to get involved.
So, save the date for Thursday, September 1 and plan to head up to AutoZone Park from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. for music, food, fun…and it’s totally free. I’ll have lots more details as we get closer to the event. Here are a few things you can expect from Exposure:
– 150+ local organizations there in-person with demos, giveaways, and plenty of information, offering all kinds of ways for people to get plugged into city life. Find new ways to play in your city, meet people, get fit, enjoy the outdoors, adopt a pet…and more.
– The event is free and open to the public – we expect thousands to join us!
– Performances from all kinds of local performers – think rogue opera, pirouettes from Ballet Memphis, the rhythm of the Grizzline and soulful sounds of local bands.
– A bike valet and a prize for the longest bike commute to the event from Victory Bikes.
– Love Memphis? Do something about it! Visit the “Beers for Volunteers” area (brought to you by Volunteer Odyssey) where you can both meet wonderful nonprofits who need your help! Sign up to become a volunteer… and enjoy beer specials!
– BBQ nachos! Discounted food and drink from ballpark vendors.
– Get a front row seat for the Memphis Celebrity Kickball game led by team captains Grizz and Rocky the Red Bird.
– I will be there, likely with the mobile mural and maybe some exciting surprises
– Tasty free samples from your best local brewers and distillers.
– Fireworks show to close out the night. Boom.
Learn more about New Memphis here.
I want to give a special thank you to New Memphis and iBank for making this happen! Learn more about iBank here.
September 1, 2016
6 p.m. – 9 p.m.