5 Things To Do In Memphis This Weekend: 7/22 – 7/24
Happy Friday, Memphis! I have a couple of quick announcements.
– If you want to win tickets to the Joe Walsh concert at Mud Island on Aug. 13, I’m giving away several pairs. Find out how to enter.
And now, here are the five things you won’t want to miss in Memphis this weekend.
1. Pirate Picnic in My Big Backyard, Memphis Botanic Garden, Friday, 6 p.m., $8 members/$5 non-members, all ages/kid-friendly
Take the kids to the garden Friday night for a swashbuckling adventure with crafts, a botanical treasure hunt, and the opening of the Lost Boys Lagoon Idea Garden. Bring your own dinner, and the Garden will provide punch and pirate booty! Buy tix online or call head at 901-636-4131.
2. Levitt Shell Free Concerts, Levitt Shell, nighty Friday – Sunday, 7:30 p.m., free, all ages/kid-friendly
The Levitt Shell’s Summer Series continues with free fun for the whole family. Friday is indie afro-pop band Hip Adbuction, Saturday is southern soul group The Night Owls, and Sunday’s artist is “soul shocked, volume cranked, feel good rock ‘n’ roll” vocalist Nikki Hill. Bring a picnic, blanket, chairs, and drinks – or purchase food and beer on site. Don’t forget to bring a few bucks to toss into the donation buckets if you can.
3. 28th Annual WEVL 89.9 Blues on the Bluff, National Ornamental Metal Museum, Saturday, 6 p.m. – 11 p.m., $25 adults/$12 kids, all ages
Enjoy one of the best sunset views in town on the banks of the Mississippi while you enjoy the sounds of The Bo Keys, The Maitre D’s, and the Garry Burnside Band. Food Geek food truck will have BBQ and veggie-friendly options, and there will be drinks for sale. Get more details here. Proceeds benefit Memphis’ only volunteer radio station WEVL FM 89.9, so this is an important one.
4. Memphis Roller Derby Double Header, Pipkin Building, Saturday, 6 p.m., $10 adults/$5 kids/free under 4, all ages/kid-friendly
On Saturday, the Memphis Roller derby hosts a Renaissance-themed double header at the Pipkin Building at the Mid-South Fairgrounds. The Blues City Bombers take on the Clarksvillian Roller Girls first followed by the MRD Knights v. the MRD Dragons mashup bout starting at 8 p.m. They’ll have snacks, limited edition merchandise, and more.
5. Good People Good Beer, Playhouse on the Square, Saturday, 6:30 p.m. – 9:30 p.m., $25, 21 and up
Drink to benefit Operation Broken Silence, a Memphis-based nonprofit that supports peace and justice in Sudan through innovative programs. Tickets include five 4oz samples of high gravity brews, Wiseacre on tap, and food from Central BBQ. Dress to impress.
See more of this weekend’s event here. Have a great weekend and tag your photos #ilovememphis!
1. Enter to win Joe Walsh tickets here.
Vote for I Love Memphis for Best Local Website, Twitter, Instagram, and Podcast here.