Memphis Guide To Valentine’s Day 2016
Valentine’s Day is one month from tomorrow. Here are a few ideas for how to celebrate. If you’re looking for inexpensive date ideas, click here. If you’re looking for some local sweet treats, click here. I also found this fun V-Day Mixtape from 2012.
I’ll update this post as I learn more – you can add ideas in the comments, too.
1. Go To Dinner
You’ll need reservations. Prices do not include tax, gratuity, or drinks.
– Amerigo Italian Restaurant will have limited reservations Feb. 12th through the 14th with a regular menu and chef’s specials.
– Babalu will have lunch and dinner specials containing aphrodisiac ingredients from Friday the 12th through Sunday the 14th.
– B.B. King’s will have a special menu and live music.
– Bounty on Broad will be open for Sunday brunch 11 a.m. – 2 p.m. and Sunday dinner 6 p.m. – 9 p.m.
–Cafe 1912 will have their regular menu plus a few Valentine’s specials for each course Feb. 12 – 14. On the 14th, they’ll have a limited menu.
– Celtic Crossing will have brunch and prix fixe dinner menu starting at 3 p.m. All guests to the pub on the 14th will get a Claddagh ring token and Irish chocolates while they last.
– The Farmer will have a three-course meal with seating from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. $45 per person.
– Felicia Suzanne’s will have a three-course prix-fixe menu with three choices for each course for $75 per person.
– Flying Saucer downtown will have a Valentine’s beer breakfast (waffles, candied bacon, mini beer flight, and more) for $30 per couple.
– Lafayette’s will have a six-course meal for $65 per person, with an optional $25 per person wine pairing. They’ll have four seatings: 6 p.m., 7 p.m., 8 p.m., and 9 p.m. Call for reservations.
– Schweinehaus will host a Founder’s beer dinner.
– Sweet Grass will serve a three-course prix fixe menu for $45 per person.
Here are some more suggestions for dinner on Saturday or Sunday. I’ll update with details as I have them. Call ahead for reservations and hours.
Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen
Capriccio Grill at The Peabody
Chez Philippe at The Peabody
Eighty3 at The Madison
Hog & Hominy
Mesquite Chop House
Texas de Brazil
Terrace at the River Inn
2. Go To A Show Or Concert
– American Idiot, Playhouse On The Square, Jan. 22 – Feb. 14, $15 – $40, 13+ for adult situations/language
“Three disgruntled friends flee the constraints of their hometown for the thrill of city life…” with a score from punk pop group Green Day.
– Love Letters, 3037 Forest Hill-Irene Rd., Jan. 29 – Feb. 14, $12 – $24, all ages/kid-friendly
Germantown Community Theatre brings a romantic two-person show about one couple’s love and love letters. The show goes on Fridays and Saturdays at 8 p.m. and at 2 p.m. on Sundays.
– The Other Place, Circuit Playhouse, Jan. 29 – Feb. 21, $15 – $35, 13+ for adult situations/language
Not feeling very lovey-dovey, but still want to get out? This dramatic play about a woman’s whose life is falling apart should do the trick.
– A Gentleman’s Guide To Love & Murder, Orpheum Theatre, Feb. 9 – 14, $25 – $125, 10+
The Orpheum’s Broadway series continues with the 2014 Tony Award-winning comedic musical about family fortunes, love, and of course, murder.
– Judah & The Lion, Minglewood Hall, Friday Feb. 12, doors at 7 p.m., $15 – $17, all ages
Nashville-based trio pop group at Minglewood on Friday.
– Germantown Symphony Orchestra, GPAC, Friday Feb. 12, 7 p.m., $12, all ages
The GSO performs “Music for a Romantic Getaway” with selections inspired by Rome, Paris, and other European destinations.
– Robin Spielberg, Halloran Centre, Saturday Feb. 13, 7 p.m., $27.50, all ages
Accomplished composer and pianists performs as part of the Halloran Centre’s music series.
– Marcus Roberts and the Modern Jazz Generation, GPAC, Saturday Feb. 13, 8 p.m., $35 – $75, all ages
Jazz pianist Marcus Roberts performs with a 12-piece ensemble on Saturday night.
– Drivin’ N Cryin’, 1884 Lounge at Minglewood Hall, Sunday Feb. 14, doors at 7 p.m., $15 – $17, 18+
Spend your Valentine’s Day rocking out with Drivin’ N Cryin’. Great Peacock and Thomas Wynn & The Believers open.
3. Do Something Different
– 24th Annual Works of Heart, Memphis College of Art, Saturday Feb. 6, 7 p.m., $75 per person, 21 and up
Bid on more than 100 heart-themed artworks from local artists while enjoying wine, beer, and appetizers. Proceeds benefit the Memphis Child Advocacy Center.
– No Show Ball Benefitting The Forrest Spence Fund, Your House!, Feb. 13, 8 a.m. – 5 p.m., $100, all ages
Don’t feel like leaving the house? The No Show Ball is a great way to celebrate Valentine’s Day and give back. For $100, you’ll get enough ravioli, salad, dessert, and bread for four people plus a bottle of wine.
– Monster Jam, FedExForum, Feb. 12 – 13, 7 p.m., $10 and up, all ages/kid-friendly
It’s basically a Memphis tradition by now: watch 12-foot-tall vehicles with names like “War Wagon” and “Raminator” smash each other to bits on Valentine’s Day Weekend.
– Whiskey, Wine and Chocolate Pairing, Memphis Botanic Garden, Feb. 12, 7 p.m. – 9 p.m., $35 members/$45 non-members, 21+
Memphis chocolatier Phillip Ashley will pair his creations with whiskeys, beer, wine, cocktails and champagne. Light appetizers will be served. Call (901) 636-4131 for reservations or buy tickets online.
– Chocolate Casting Workshop, Five In One Social Club, Feb. 13 / Feb. 15, 2 p.m. / 6 p.m., $32, 13 and up
Create food safe molds and then make your own chocolates for your sweetie (or yourself). Be sure to reserve your spot before the Saturday and Monday workshops sell out.
– Must Love Cats (And Dogs), Brooks Museum, Saturday Feb. 13, 6 p.m./7:45 p.m./9 p.m., $16/$12 members/$20 at the door, 21 and up
The Internet Cat Video Festival returns with three screenings on Saturday night, Feb. 13. Hang out at the Brooks before or after your showing for crafts, music from DJ Waht and Bryan Hartley, psychic readings, and a cash bar. This event will likely sell out, so get your tickets today.
– 2nd Annual Tilted Hearts Pinball Tournament, Garibaldi’s Pizza, Saturday, Feb. 13, 2 p.m. – until, $10 cash, all ages
Memphis Pinball hosts another Valentine’s Day weekend pinball action in this IFPA-endorsed triple-elimination tourney. Entry is $10 cash but games are free for competitors, who will be randomly matched with opponents and machines. The top three players get a cash prize.
– Valentine’s Day Dances, Blue Suede Ballroom (3675 Southwind Park Cove), Saturday Feb. 13 – Sunday Feb. 14, $30 per couple, 13+
Blue Suede Ballroom will host four dance classes on Valentine’s Day Weekend: at 3 p.m., 4 p.m. and 5 p.m. on Saturday, Feb. 13 and at 5 p.m. on Feb. 14. Call 901-758-0032 to reserve your spots.
– Bring Your Boo To The Barre, Cardio Barre, Feb. 14, 18 and up
Cardio Barre is letting you bring in your significant other for free on Sunday the 14th. Call 901-871-0975 for reservations.
– Two-For-One Bikram Class – I Love Memphis Special!, Bikram Hot Yoga (2105 Madison Ave. Ste. 205 and 5101 Sanderlin Ste. 125), Feb. 14, $20
Come in for Inferno Hot Pilates or Bikram Hot Yoga at either location on Sunday the 14th, mention the I Love Memphis blog, and your valentine will get in with you for free!
– Mother Daughter Valentine’s Tea, Memphis Botanic Garden, Sunday Feb. 14, 2 p.m. – 3:30 p.m., $15 members/$20 non-members.
Spend an afternoon at the MBG’s annual Mother Daughter Tea. Reservations are required; space is limited. Call 636-4131 to confirm.
– Esplanade Valentine’s Gala, Esplanade, Feb. 14, doors at 6 p.m., $65 per person/$150 per couple, 21+
Enjoy a three-course meal, live music, a photo booth, and cash bar at sweetheart tables for two, or singles tables of eight (you can also buy the whole table for $600). Sweetheart tables get a bottle of sparkling wine to start. Semi-formal or formal attire.
– Lonely Hearts Club Cocktail Party, Next Door, Feb. 14, all night, $3 martinis +, 21+
Next Door will host a Lonely Heart’s Club Party on Valentine’s Day with $3 flavored martinis and $10 beer buckets. The Sweet Grass menu will be available on the Next Door side as well.
How are you spending Valentine’s Day weekend? Have other ideas? Add them in the comments.