Tuesday News Update: Mural Launch and Movember Moustaches Edition
Happy Tuesday, Memphians! If you haven’t been outside today, get out there. It’s the perfect fall day. But first, here’s a quick news update and an invitation for you.
Help me celebrate the launch of the newest I Love Memphis mural this Saturday (November 14). I’ll be posted up at the Memphis Flyer’s Crafts and Drafts event from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m., giving away free stickers, window clings, and beer tokens.
I’ll also have a very few I Love Memphis t-shirts for sale for $20, cash only, while supplies last. For those of you asking how to get a shirt, this is how.
The mural is located in the Crosstown neighborhood in the parking lot at North Watkins and Autumn (behind the Hi-Tone) and the I Love Memphis tent will be set up right next to it. Click here to see more about the mural launch and click here for more info on Crafts and Drafts.
– I’ve started putting together a guide for things to do during the week, plus a little preview of the upcoming weekend. I’ll publish these on Monday mornings. Click here for this week’s guide.
– This month, men all over the U.S. are growing out their mustaches in support of the Movember Foundation, which raises funds and awareness for men’s health issues. The MovemberMania team is representing the Mid-South and their goal is to grow some sweet ‘staches (you can see their progress here) and raise $2000. Click here to donate. Even $5 helps!
– Are you involved at a school or community organization? Think your group could benefit from a Learning Garden outdoor garden classroom? The Kitchen Community is now accepting applications for the Memphis area. Click here to apply.
– Men’s Health named the Madison Hotel in downtown Memphis as one of the “manliest hotels in America“. I have no understanding of the criteria, but I’m glad the Madison got a shout out.
– The Bass Pro Pyramid will offer free photos with Santa, free crafts, games, and activities on select days in November and December.
– Downtown restaurant Lunchbox Eats got some love from USA Today food writer Larry Olmstead last week. Crawfish Sloppy Joe for the win!
– Talk about drinking local: the Delta Blues Winery is launching their “Memphis Legends” line of wines to celebrate Memphis’ musical history. The first two wines, a red and white, both made from West Tennessee grapes, honor The Memphis Horns. You can celebrate the launch at a reception at the winery in Lakeland this Sunday at 3 p.m.
– Tickets to Ignite Memphis Vol. 9 are on sale. Get yours now before they sell out. Read more about Ignite here.