5 Things To Do This Weekend: 8/21 – 8/23
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won't want to miss in Memphis this weekend.
1. Spillit Story Slam, Amurica Photo, Friday, 6:30 p.m., $10, 18 and up
At Spillit Story Slams, audience members have a chance to put their name in a hat to be chosen to tell a five minute story for the judges and crowd. Tonight's story theme is "I Got Lucky". I'd definitely get there early to ensure a seat.
2. Preauxx and Cities Aviv, Hi-Tone, Friday, doors at 8 p.m., $10, 18 and up
Local rappers Cities Aviv and Preauxx perform in the big room of the Hi-Tone in Crosstown.
3. Mid-South Renaissance Faire, Shelby Farms, Saturdays and Sundays August 22 – 30, $13 adults/$8 kids/under 6 free
The first-ever Mid-South Ren Faire features Elizabethan dances, giant turkey legs and other food, merchants, pirates, and of course, jousters on horseback.
4. FOMO Fest, Levitt Shell, Saturday, 3 p.m. – 10 p.m., $15 online in advance/$20 door, all ages
Don't miss the first-ever FOMO Fest (named for the online acronym "fear of missing out"). This new Memphis music festival features favorite local artists like Marcella & Her Lovers, John Paul Keith, Hope Clayburn, and more.
5. 2nd Terrain Biennial Art Exhibition, Various Locations, Sunday, 4 p.m. – 7 p.m., free, all ages
The 2nd Terrain Biennial is a city-wide, outdoor exhibition, organized by Clough-Hanson Gallery at Rhodes College to bring art to the public, literally where they live. Nine artists from Memphis present temporary art installations in the front yards of their friends and neighbors. The installations are on view 24 hours a day between August 23 and September 30 and the kickoff is this Sunday. For a list of locations, click here.
Whatever you do, I hope you have a blast! Tag your photos #ilovememphis for a chance to be featured on the blog!