5 Things To Do This Weekend: 6/12-6/14
Happy Friday, Memphis! Here are the five things you won’t want to miss this weekend.
Photo of the Jun Kaneko exhibit at the Dixon via Andrew Parks on Instagram @amparks1.
1. FedEx St. Jude Classic Golf Tournament, TPC Southwind, all weekend, $35 at the door, all ages
Some of the world’s best golfers are at Southwind this weekend for the annual FedEx St. Jude Classic. Catch the second round of tournament play on Friday, the third round on Saturday and the final round on Sunday (you best wear your seersucker and plenty of sunscreen). Proceeds from this PGA event benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
2. Dixon Gallery and Gardens, Fri. and Sat. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m., Sunday 1 p.m. to 5 p.m., free – $7, all ages/kid-friendly
It’s a great weekend to visit the Dixon gardens (the new Jun Kaneko exhibit is up). Go for Food Truck Fridays during lunch, check out the hydrangea sale on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m., plus enjoy free admission on Saturday from 10 a.m to noon. If you want a guided tour, go at 2 p.m. on Sunday. Keep in mind that the galleries are closed for renovations at this time.
3. Literatini, The Booksellers at Laurelwood, Friday, 7 p.m. – 10 p.m., $50 individual/$75 couple, 21 and up
Sip, sample, and vote on your favorite martinis from local bars during the Martini Death Match, then enjoy live music and snacks. Stick around to meet best-selling author Marja Mills. Proceeds benefit Literacy Mid-South.
4. Rock ‘n’ Romp, Shelby Farms Park, June 13, 2 p.m. – 5 p.m., $5 adults/kids free, all ages/kid-friendly
Here’s your chance to take the kids to a daytime concert with seriously good local music. Head to Shelby Farms (right off the Greenline near the Bike rentals) to hear Jack Oblivion, Hanna Star & her Teenage Teenagers, Jeff Evans and Ross Johnson play. You can enjoy free beer and snacks while they last.
5. Another Evening With Friends of the Fort, Marine Hospital (360 Metal Museum Drive), Saturday, 5 p.m. to midnight, $25 at the door, 18+
Here’s another chance to check out the Historic Marine Hospital and grounds. The first 100 people to sign up on site will have access to guided tours from local history guru Jimmy Ogle. Live music starts at 6 p.m., and your $25 ticket includes craft beer and barbecue.
Don’t forget about the Levitt Shell free concert series, the Orpheum Summer Movie Series, or check out more ideas for this summer on the Summer Events Guide, Guide to 4th of July in the Mid-South, or 20 Kid-Friendly Summer Ideas posts. There’s also an interesting-sounding art installation going on at Earnestine & Hazel’s tonight. Read more here.
Have a great weekend and come back and tell me about it on Monday!