365 Things to Do in Memphis #120: Watch the Grizz in the NBA Playoffs
#120 on our list of 365 Things To Do In Memphis is to Watch the Grizz in the NBA Playoffs! Congrats to the Memphis Grizzlies, who grabbed the fifth seed playoff spot last night after they defeated the Indiana Pacers at home!
about to dive into heading to the second round of the playoffs, and I’m already getting questions about schedules, watch parties, and more. Here’s what I know so far.
The Grizzlies defeated the Portland Trailblazers in five games to advance to the Western Conference Semifinals. Now we play the Golden State Warriors. Here’s the Second Round Playoffs game schedule with times (CST), locations, and channel listings. Of course you can always listen to the games on local ESPN radio 92.9.
Game 1: Sun., May 3 in Oakland at 2:30 p.m. Golden State wins.
Game 2: Tue., May 5 in Oakland at 9:30 p.m. Grizzlies win! Conley plays!
Game 3: Sat., May 9 in Memphis at 7 p.m. Grizzlies win!
Game 4: Mon., May 11 in Memphis at 8:30 p.m. on TNT Golden State wins.
Game 5: Wed., May 13 in Oakland at 9:30 p.m. on TNT (Official Watch Party at Bass Pro Pyramid) Golden State wins.
Game 6: Fri. May 15 in Memphis at 8:30 p.m. on ESPN
Game 7: Sun., May 17 in Oakland at 2:30 p.m. (Offical Watch Party at Local on the Square)
Pretty much every playoff home game will sell out, so get your tickets now here or by calling 1-800-4-NBA-TIX.
First Round – We’re done! We won.
Game 1: Sun., April 19 in Memphis at 7 p.m. on TNT Grizzlies win!
Game 2: Wed., April 22 in Memphis at 7 p.m. on TNT Grizzlies win!
Game 3: Sat., April 25 in Portland at 7:30 p.m. on ESPN (Official Watch Party at Buffalo Wild Wings on Hwy 64) Grizzlies win!
Game 4: Mon. April 27 in Portland at 7:30 p.m. on TNT (Official Watch Party at Cafe Ole) Grizzlies lose.
Game 5: Wed. April 19 in Memphis at 8:30 p.m. Grizzlies win!
Where to watch
While just about every bar and restaurant will have their TVs tuned to the Grizz, here are a few great places to catch the playoff games.
– Alex’s Tavern (1445 Jackson Ave.) Alex’s is crowded, but not packed, they show the game on at least three TVs and a giant projection screen, you can bring your own liquor (they only sell beer), and the food is straight up perfect. Go to an ATM on your way, as Alex’s is cash only.
– Max’s Sports Bar (115 G.E. Patterson) South Main’s tiniest sports bar gets packed for Grizzlies’ games, and it’s not a bad thing. If you want to watch with a crowd of people who are all just as into the game as you are, this is the place to do it.
– Sweet Grass Next Door (937 S. Cooper) Next Door has tons of TVs (positioned so that you can see the game from just about every seat), there’s lots of local beer and great food, and the staff is just as into the game as the patrons.
– Hog and Hominy (707 W. Brookhaven Cir.) Hog and Hominy is perfect for catching the later games, especially if you can grab a seat at the bar or in the Holding Pen.
– South of Beale (361 S. Main Street) I’ve got two words for you: Grizz Shots. Plus, it’s close enough to the Forum that you can join the party after home games, but not so close that you won’t be able to find parking.
– Local Gastropub Overton Square (2126 Madison Ave.) I recommend going upstairs to watch the games, where the vibe is more bar than restaurant. It’s been designed so that you can see at least one (if not more) TVs from every seat in the room.
– Bayou Bar and Grill (2094 Madison Ave.) Bayou gets a little rowdy on game nights, but that’s what makes it fun. Go crazy on some Cajun food, and don’t be shy about yelling at the TV.
– Brewery Revival (495 Tennessee St.) The Tennesse Brewery’s Thursday – Sunday event includes a screening room that will show Grizz playoffs games on nights it’s open. Head over there to mingle, drink beer, see art, eat from food trucks, and cheer on the Grizz with your fellow Brewery/Grizz fans.
I know there are about a million more places (and there have to be a few more in East Memphis) so you have a favorite you’d like to share, just leave it in the comments. If you’re a bar or restuarnt owner doing drink or food specials during the playoffs, leave detailed info in the comments, too. Go Grizz!