Tuesday News Update: A Weekend Preview, A Grizz Giveaway, and Your Photos
Happy Wednesday, Memphis! Here’s a quick news update,
a chance to win the latest Grizz Essentials box (giveaway ended, congrats to Susanne!) and your photos tagged #ilovememphis.
– This Saturday is a chance to build some community and give some feedback on our city, with the U of M’s Design Collaborative hosting an event called “Let’s Stay Together” featuring panels, open discussions (not lectures), plus some musical performances and refreshments. Read more here.
– This Saturday is going to be a big one for the Brooks Museum/Overton Park area. The Brooks will host a Chalkfest Block Party from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., Literacy Mid-South will host a reading flash mob from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. in Overton Park, and there’s a volunteer clean up day for the Overton Park.
– This Saturday is Cosmic Trunk Show day at the Metal Museum: artisans selling jewelry, housewares, and sculpture, cosmos at the cash bar and Stick ’em Food Truck, plus free admission to the Museum and grounds. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
– A study by Cush and Wakefield (published in the Wall Street Journal) says that Memphis is one of the top places for millennials “right live/work/play environment”. Horray!
– Thrillist published a list of 15 BBQ Joints in Memphis. Warning: Do not read if you are hungry.
– Sad news: Savannah, a lioness at the Memphis Zoo, passed away after an illness last week.
– The Mississippi RiverKings made it to the minor league hockey playoffs for the ninth consecutive season with a 3-1 defeat over the Fayetteville FireAntz. You can check out the team in home games this weekend.
The Contest: (giveaway ended, congrats to Susanne!) If you want to win this month’s Grizz Essentials box (pictured above) which contains a signed painting, an awesome knit scarf, a vintage Grizz sticker, a koozie, and a digital art download (my box that I’m giving away has this already printed out for you!) then leave me a comment on this post telling me that you want it before 2 p.m. on Thursday, March 19. I’ll announce a random winner then.
If you want to order this month’s Grizz Essentials, you can use code ILOVEMEMPHIS at checkout for a discount. Read more about Grizz Essentials here.
Here are your photos tagged #ilovememphis! Be sure to use the tag and your photos could appear on the blog.